Risperidone

Worrywart 2

Jul 7, 2015
Hello - desperate for advice please. Quick recap - my mother nadbrwinhaemorhage 3 years ago - long spell in hospital and rehab the home with carers 3 times a day. Worked ok but only with lots of pop ins from me. I went into hospital in January this year and my operation went wrong - I was in hospital for 3 months - when I came out no where near well my mother had started wondering and not recognising her house as her own. Long story short she is now in a residential home. She was on the cusp between residential and nursing. She's been there 4 months and hasn't settled. She has some good weeks but many bad resulting n aggression, swearing and constantly trying to escape. She was on memantine but they now want try her on risperidone - which. Understand is an anti psychotic drug. I've never felt comfortable with my mother being n a home - she has a brain injury but has now been labelled with vascular dementia. I just don't think there are suitable places for my mother - she is only 76 and needs a lot of stimulation - she would go shopping everyday if she could. It seems to be they can't cope with her so they are drugging her. The home is very caring but I'm not sure it's right for her, that said I don't think the perfect environment exists.
Can anyone relate to what I'm saying and has anyone for experience of risperidone please - the cpn is coming out tomorrow to see my sister and I about the administration of the drug as it has lots of side effects.
Thank you .

tigerlady

Nov 29, 2015
There is another thread about this drug - if you look it up in the search box you may find some answers - I posted there as well as I was , and still am, concerned about my husband having it

Thread: Risperidone
by usedup

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The description of it as an anti psychotic is alarming but those I know who take it had gone down the aggressive, swearing, paranoid route and it calmed all of that down. Two I know have been on it for over a year with no obvious ill effects. Sometimes drugs are the only way to go with a disease that can't be cured. Give it a try.

wobbly

Feb 14, 2012
Mid Wales
I suppose everyone reacts differently but my dad was put on it mainly for aggression and in a few weeks was shuffling, head down all the time and constantly dribbing, he couldn't talk there was so much saliva in his mouth...he's 83 but aged ten years....he now has lorazepam a very small dose which seems to keep things at bay and an antidepressent seemed to help too....hope things settle for you and Mum...:)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
That's useful to hear Wobbly. The thing about these medications is that you have to know the person well to judge how effective they are. It's important not to just accept them uncritically.

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
Hello - desperate for advice please. Quick recap - my mother nadbrwinhaemorhage 3 years ago - long spell in hospital and rehab the home with carers 3 times a day. Worked ok but only with lots of pop ins from me. I went into hospital in January this year and my operation went wrong - I was in hospital for 3 months - when I came out no where near well my mother had started wondering and not recognising her house as her own. Long story short she is now in a residential home. She was on the cusp between residential and nursing. She's been there 4 months and hasn't settled. She has some good weeks but many bad resulting n aggression, swearing and constantly trying to escape. She was on memantine but they now want try her on risperidone - which. Understand is an anti psychotic drug. I've never felt comfortable with my mother being n a home - she has a brain injury but has now been labelled with vascular dementia. I just don't think there are suitable places for my mother - she is only 76 and needs a lot of stimulation - she would go shopping everyday if she could. It seems to be they can't cope with her so they are drugging her. The home is very caring but I'm not sure it's right for her, that said I don't think the perfect environment exists.
Can anyone relate to what I'm saying and has anyone for experience of risperidone please - the cpn is coming out tomorrow to see my sister and I about the administration of the drug as it has lots of side effects.
Thank you .

Tell the CPN you believe it could be boredom, they should be able to adjust the care plan to include more activities

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
My oh has been on it since Wednesday,. 25 twice a day. He is a changed person much more relaxed and understanding . So far so good.