Risperidone

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
I have mentioned on TP before that my husband was prescribed Risperidone as his anxiety and verbal aggression had become very difficult for me to contend with. He started on a low dose on an as and when basis, but gradually it was increased, and I now give him 3 half tablets daily. It makes him sleep a lot and that gives me some quiet time. My concern is he has gained weight around his middle to such an extent that I am having to buy trousers two sizes bigger than normal. I read on the internet that this can happen, and wondered if anyone else has had the same experience.

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Now that you mention it, I have also had to buy bigger trousers but it never crossed my mind it was the Risperidone! I know he is not eating more, less In fact because I have reduced portion size. But, of course, is burning no energy because as you say sleeps a lot and sits all day.
So, yes, have also experienced weight gain.
Although I have to admit I wouldn’t want to have him taken off the medication.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
Now that you mention it, I have also had to buy bigger trousers but it never crossed my mind it was the Risperidone! I know he is not eating more, less In fact because I have reduced portion size. But, of course, is burning no energy because as you say sleeps a lot and sits all day.
So, yes, have also experienced weight gain.
Although I have to admit I wouldn’t want to have him taken off the medication.
Thanks for replying. That’s my quandary too. He had a blood test a couple of weeks ago, and the doctor talked about coming in to talk about diet, mentioning pre diabetes!! He has never been overweight, but like you say, he is not burning calories. I certainly don’t want to go back to pre Risperidone days, so I will probably just live with it and order bigger trousers!!!