Risperidone..any experience?

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
Hi
Following a real change in my oh we finally got to the doctors to discuss the anger and constant arguments.
Risperidone has been prescribed. I would be interested in any views.
Thank you

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
It’s been very good at bring my husbands aggression and repetitive thinking to an end. He is now sweet, compliant and good natured. The downside is that he has put on weight

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
My mum has been on risperidone for a year and it has helped a great deal with her evening agitation and verbal aggression, she is only on 0.5 mg once a day.

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
My OH has been taking them since November first .5 now 1 mg as he had a very challenging do where I was being shouted at again and pushed. The extra dose has calmed him down for now anyway!

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother was on it for probably two years or so. We did have to switch because she developed Parkinsonian syndrome but it was helpful regarding her behavioural problems.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband was on it for over four years. It can have severe side effects, so needs to be carefully monitored, but my husband was on 1.5mg per day, and thankfully he suffered no side effects. Before being prescribed risperidone, he had been suffering extreme paranoia, hallucinations & delusions, was very agitated and anxious and getting aggressive. I was spending hours every day just driving him around, trying to keep his mind off what he was hearing & seeing, and what he believed was going on. He wasn't sleeping, because he was terrified of what would happen. Once on the risperidone (with trazodone and exelon patches), he was calm, content and relaxed.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH was on resperidone, his anxiety subsided after only 2 days but after 3 mths he started to lean to the right , was sleepy and started to shake. He's been in hospital for 5 weeks now after collapsing at Christmas , they took him off it after the first week because he was so sleepy they couldn't get him to eat at meals times, unlike at home where I could give him his meal when he was awake. His lean has corrected itself and his shake has gone, but it was a life saver for me as he was stressing me out and I was close to breakdown. I can't honestly say his leaning was down to resperidone but if he was to take it again I would question with Dr any changes in his physical appearance that occur.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@RosettaT this is exactly why it needs careful monitoring and regular reviewing by the prescribing doctor. My husband was seen by the consultant who prescribed his medication initially every week until his symptoms settled, and the doctor was satisfied that he was on the correct dose for the maximum benefit, and after that, he was seen every six- eight weeks.

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
My Dad has been on it for a couple of years and it has been helpful in managing aggression. The dosage has changed during that time and is reviewed very 3 months. Gx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandynoyes