Risks of complaining

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Cat27, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I'd ask to talk to the manager & see what she has to stay before going higher.

2. underwood

underwood Registered User

Oct 9, 2015
    Nottingham
    I agree with you Cat27

3. Pear trees

Pear trees Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    I agree with Cat27, but make it very clear to the manager that you will be putting your concerns in writing to the trustees if there is no improvement after a certain time.
    You should not have to supply plastic aprons or supervise staff, that is the manager's job

4. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    Your mother's care or rather, lack of it, is not acceptable and the home is failing in its duty. Thats's the bare bones of it without talking about the pain and suffering being inflicted on a vulnerable person in their care and the heartache this must be causing you.

I do think the manager is the first port of call but make it clear that if your concerns aren't addressed, you will be taking it further.
    It might be possible that she isn't fully aware of what has been happening but unless you speak to her, you won't know and to go above her head without giving her a chance to address the situation might be counter-productive in the long run. I would imagine that the trustees or CQC would expect you to have spoken to the manager first. Best of luck.

5. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
    Ask to see what's in the accident book and in her records.
    If incidents not recorded, why not??
    Start with manager, take higher if needs be.
    Be prepared to change homes if need be.

Bod

6. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    I would definitely put a note to the Manager in writing about both incidents It needs to be documented at the very least or there will be no improvement. With staff shortages and some of the general malaise around some staff the only way forward is a letter however brief. The CQC also check all letters of concern/complaint and so the homes tend to do something about letters.

7. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Its a shame that when there are genuine concerns about standards of work, that we have to 'pussy foot' around to ensure no one gets upset or anything else. You know the care home are not exactly on top of things, so you should contact the manager request a meeting and discuss till you are satisfied. After all, you are not asking for any special treatment, just the assurance that they are on top of things. And yes take a look at the accident book, especially if on visits that they inform you of an incident/accident, helps to check their records are up to date.

8. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    The CQC don't 'investigate' individual complaints but if you complain on their website they do actually have to do something about it and usually bring their inspections forward. They also always look at complaints records when they do their inspections so I advise everyone to write it down!!

However in hertfordshire we have a facility to directly report issues on the website to safeguarding and they have to investigate.

Also you should report to the Police if you can't get a response from anyone else and if the injury is significant.

Finally you can move residents to another care home if you are not satisfied.

The manager at this home sounds awful. I am horrified that the CQC did not include any of the negatives you mentioned after you had spent so long talking to them. Shame on the CQC.

Never stop complaining - it can only improve things

9. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Kassy this is horrendous for you and your Mum, I cannot imagine how you felt. is your mum still in the same care home?

10. Witzend

Witzend Registered User

Aug 29, 2007
    SW London
    My mother's CH used to inform me of every little bruise or scrape, and there were quite a few, since her skin was so thin.

If a CH is not up to scratch, then IMO it's usually down to the manager - the fish stinks from the head, as the old Greek proverb goes. Unless there is a change of manager and the staff get a good gee-ing up, then personally I don't think it's very likely that much will change. I know it's a heart-sinking prospect, but I think I'd be looking for another care home.

11. angelface

angelface Registered User

Oct 8, 2011
    london
    I agree,do keep on at the manager.

I did have occasion to complain to the CQC,who promptly passed my name on to the manager.You can imagine how that went down.

When I tried to move my aunt to a better home, SS got involved and fought me tooth and nail,even though auntie was self funding. Eventually a DOLs assessment was done, which helped get her moved.

The main thing is to visit often and keep an eye -and raise problems with the manager or charge nurse every time you see something wrong.

12. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Angelface that is awful When you self fund there should be no problem with moving - you are supposed to be able to just give notice and move them!! That's what happens in our area
    Yes you do have to say to the CQC that you don't want your name mentioned but to be honest if you are complaining about a specific incident then most CHs will be able to identify the person and why not......the only way we will improve the system is my raising issues

13. Saffie

Saffie Registered User

Mar 26, 2011
    Female
    Near Southampton
    If you are self-funding I would move your mother and if you are not then you should contact the Adult Services of your LA. They have a duty of care for your mother and have the power to investigate.
    Have you been able to gain access to your mother's Care Plan? You should be able to see it whenever you choose.