Rising Cost of Dementia

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi all
I have been invited to a conference in London next week on The Rising Cost of Dementia with some others from the Youger People with Dementia Working Group.
I am very interested in the costs as I have been lobbied on various occassions by our local newspaper ever since they did a campaign for Alzheimers drugs some time ago with us. It seems some newspaper have decided to help us out where they can so no doubt there will be more questions.
But I think it would be nice to get as much knowledge about this as we can for the future, so that my wife and other carers can see what is coming.
There are various speakers who sound very interesting including our very own Bruce, who as many know cares for his wife Jan. Although some of us are really on the wrong side as far as the conference is concerned, (as we have Dementia ourselves), it sounds a briiliant day and no doubt Bruce will do it justice. I have never heard him speak before so that is going to be an experience, and something I am really looking forward to.

I have become attached to a group who are getting involved with future planning for Younger People with Dementia. This has given me an insight into what is a minefield.

Good Luck with your Speech Bruce.

Very Best Wishes

Ken

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Ken,

The conference sounds good. Hope you enjoy it, get lots of useful information and are able to feed back what you find. I wouldn`t mind hearing Bruce speak either.

Please don`t think you are on the `wrong side`. I have had more information from you, because you are on the `inside` than I would ever have thought possible.

Love Sylvia x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi KenC

The conference sounds very interesting, I'm sure we could all benefit from it, and what a bonus, to hear Bruce speak. I hope we get a full report.

As Sylvia says, you're definitely not on the wrong side. We all live with AD, from one perspective or another. You are very much valued here.

Enjoy the conference, and let us know how it goes.

Love,

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi KenC

What great news! I'm looking forward to meeting you there on Tuesday!

I've made a very personal presentation, and I hope it goes down well. I'm the world's most disaster-prone speaker, so who knows how it will go! :eek:

The BBC plans to visit Jan and me at the home on Friday, as part of the coverage. Apparently a BBC strike is planned for Monday, so no-one may see it!

Thanks Skye and Grannie G for your kind comments!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Ken, I am going to the conference next week. I shall look out for you, it would be lovely to talk to you in person.

Should be an interesting day, and , I too, am looking forward to hearing Bruce speak. He really is such a lovely man..............and now I have made him blush.

If you recognise me first, please accost me. Love,

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Skye said:
Is the BBC doing a special programme, or will it be on the news (strike permitting)?
I'll know more when I meet the journalist and film crew on Friday. I believe it is a news item.

I'm also invited to be at the press conference on Monday, and something additional may come out of that.

connie said:
and now I have made him blush.
consider me well and truly blushed!:p If what you say is true then I'm in good company, eh?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
BBC coverage

Two journalists and a cameraman came to Jan's home. One journalist was for radio coverage [Today programme on Radio 4 for example], the other for TV coverage.

Jan was a real star and I hope the necessary cutting of material will leave sufficient to show that.

Afterwards the journalist sent me the following:

As far as I know, it is going to be used in the news bulletin at one o'clock and also on News24. It could run on Breakfast news and also on later news bulletin, but with news as it is you can never tell what's going to happen. I haven't got confirmation that it'll be on the BBC news online website but I have asked for the link to the Alzheimers website to be included. I'm also hoping that the regional BBC news, South Today, will cover the story.I was very impressed by all three of the BBC people, who seemed to understand very well the situation of carers and people with dementia, and genuinely wanted to make a difference.

They also knew very well how to address people with dementia as they strolled in, from time to time....

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Bruce

Looking forward to seeing that -- will it be Monday?

John & I were interviewed for ITV's sreies on carers last year, and I found them equally sympathetic. The cameraman even helped me set up the new DVD recorder I'd bought so that I could record the programmes!

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Bruce - what day is it that they are hoping to show this? If you have said in your post I apologise, but I can't see it.
Love Helen

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Bruce,

I look forward to seeing the broadcast. I also look forward to seeing you and if possible Connie while you are there. I hope it all goes well for both you and Jan, because you both deserve it.

Goopd luck and best wishes.

Ken

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I was told the material would be shown on next Tuesday, to coincide with the publication of new information concerning the number of people with dementia in the UK, and the extrapolations of that for the future, with the consequent impact on costs.

I asked them to include a short clip where I described TP.

Fingers crossed......

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I was privileged to sit alongside Peter Ashley - who has dementia - at the press conference for the conference tomorrow.

I was spellbound by what he said and the way he said it. There I was, tripping over my own words, and there he was, clear, concise, relevant, etc.

We were each filmed by ITN.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Bruce.

I have worked with Peter a few times and he never stops amazing me. He is a man who is so full of life, caring and always full of helpful ideas. It was he who spoke at an event in Newcastle last March, and I was so inspired by him that I got more involved with the Society and have never really stopped since. When I got my diagnosis, I thought I would end up on the scrap heap, but he had other ideas, and for that I can not thank him enough. Working with him is always a pleasure and the society would do badly without him and his associates. But do not run your self down, you did a wonderful job and as many know its not easy standing up in front of people in a hall like that.
It can be very awsome, in fact terrifying trying to concertrate and think about what you have to say, while all those people out there are watching every move you make.

Best Wishes

Ken

Last edited: