RIP Old soldier duty done.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Raffles, you are a strong person who did everything to protect your beloved husband so at least he had good care at the end, and what you did will protect others.
You must be lost and devastated though. Look after youself through the difficult months to come, and do keep visiting TP.
Much love
Es
xxx

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Raffles, my heart goes out to you, for the suffering your husband endured, and your loss of him. You can be proud of the way you stood up for him, which resulted in his receiving such good care in the hospital.
I do hope and pray that you will be able to overcome the awful hurt you must be feeling, over and above the natural grief at losing your husband.
Wishing you peace, and comfort.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
We salute you, soldier boy!

Now your soldier boy is resting, and, at last, he is at peace
For his service days are over, and he now has sweet release

When he heard the bugles calling, then he knew just what they meant
It was time to get his kitbag, and to leave his regiment

So admired and so respected, with a love that never fails
He was mourned by those who loved him, from Scotland to South Wales

And the soldier boy you cherished, from the day you were his bride
Knows his girl has been for decades, in his heart, and by his side

What a story of devotion, though his illness was a fight
But you battled, cos you always did your best to make it right

As the flags descend in reverence, beneath the setting sun
We salute your darling soldier boy ...... rest peaceful - duty done.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Raffles - I am so sorry to learn that you have lost your "Soldier Boy" and that he had to suffer such pain and indignity before he was taken to hospital. What an awful experience for both him and you. How you must be grieving. My thoughts are with you. WIFE

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
How lovely, Scarlett. You always find the right words at the right time. Hope it helps comfort you, soldier's wife.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
How lovely, Scarlett. You always find the right words at the right time. Hope it helps comfort you, soldier's wife.

Sent from my GT-N5110

To be honest, I was so angry when I read the terrible ordeal that Raffles' husband had been through, that I couldn't respond at first. So I decided to curb my feelings, and write a poem instead.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
So sorry for the loss of your dear husband. You must have so many years of happy memories to look back on, I do hope that you can eventually get past the sad memories of his end of life care.

Wishing you and your daughter strength as you support each other to get through the difficult times ahead.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I think we have all felt the same,Tomgee and have done everything we could to avoid the necessity but, unfortunately it comes to the point when we have had to face the reality that we were unable to cope with our loved ones and had to take the heartbreaking decision that they would get better care from the professionals than we were able to provide them with. I'm sure that most of us also fought that decision as long as we could, feeling that we would be letting them down. It is not easy and the guilt stays with you. I hope you never find yourself in that situation.

Please take heart in that these terrible homes are very few but they are the ones which get the publicity. The majority are hopefully like my husband's, with kind and affectionate carers from management down who care enough to build a loving relationship with the residents. Can't speak too highly of it and feel very sorry for those who don't get that level of care.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Raffles

Nov 8, 2008
North Wales
My old soldier

Thank you all for your kind messages especially Scarlett for your wonderful poem, although it made me cry. I had a lady from the safeguarding team ring me this morning, she was on the phone for over an hour. She was looking into the complaint the review body had made about the morning they took my hubby into hospital. She was horrified and took on board all my other complaints. She listened, made notes and asked me to email her details, luckily I kept a diary. She told me she had already asked the home for all his records but what they had sent or actually written was woefully inadecuate. She told me the investigation was continuing and they would not allow vulnerable people to be treated like that. She said she was going to the home to check the records herself. I feel I must see it through out of respect for my husband and for the sake of others there. I think having something positive to do actually helps.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh, Raffles. So, so, sorry - for the loss of your husband and for all you both endured. And more power to your elbow, as they say, in seeing your own battle on his behalf through now!

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Dear Raffels so sorry to hear of your great loss, it must be awful for you, married for so many years l feel for you so much, sending you much love,