RIP dad.❤️

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
I've not posted for a while. It's been a tough 6months or so for dad. He suffered with chest infections and rapidly became very frail. He still knew what was going on periodically. I'd like to say he passed in his sleep, but he didn't. He was being 'fed at risk' because his swallowing was so poor, and his general health so bad that there was no other options. He 'choked' or aspirated on his puréed diet and died suddenly. I feel lost,shocked and unprepared. I also feel relieved that my perfect dad is free from his suffering. Love and strength to you all. And thank you.❤️X

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm so sorry for your loss, Gwendy. My condolences to you. Wishing you strength for the coming weeks.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Very sorry to hear this Gwendy. The circumstances must have been very distressing. I also wish you strength for the difficult time ahead.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news. I can understand your distress and feel for you. I'm glad your dad is at peace.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I've not posted for a while. It's been a tough 6months or so for dad. He suffered with chest infections and rapidly became very frail. He still knew what was going on periodically. I'd like to say he passed in his sleep, but he didn't. He was being 'fed at risk' because his swallowing was so poor, and his general health so bad that there was no other options. He 'choked' or aspirated on his puréed diet and died suddenly. I feel lost,shocked and unprepared. I also feel relieved that my perfect dad is free from his suffering. Love and strength to you all. And thank you.❤️X
There's so little one can say to a post like that.

It's so awful spending so many years waiting/ expecting them to deteriorate and then when it happens suddenly it catches on eso much by surprise.

Hopefully you will be able to hang on to the fact that he is out of the awful situation now and gain some comfort from that.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
There's so little one can say to a post like that.

It's so awful spending so many years waiting/ expecting them to deteriorate and then when it happens suddenly it catches on eso much by surprise.

Hopefully you will be able to hang on to the fact that he is out of the awful situation now and gain some comfort from that.

Thank you, Lemonjuice. I am grateful dad is at peace. From my time here searching for answers and support I have empathised with your situation on a personal level. I ran out of words really to describe the pain of my dad's seemingly endless 'distress' (again that's not the right word) and my inability to help him. I'm still sitting here in disbelief and dry-eyed. I've cried nearly every day for the last 2years and now..Anyway, I'm trying to say, I'm thinking about you. X

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Very sorry to hear this Gwendy. The circumstances must have been very distressing. I also wish you strength for the difficult time ahead.
Thank you, stanleypj. I guess someone 'up there' was looking out for me, as I was held up in traffic going to see dad as usual at his dinner time and arrived half an hour after it happened. The nurses said it was quick. I'll hold on to that. X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR