Rights of an alzheimers patient

eiggam

Jan 5, 2007
Hi Cate,

It is shocking to find out, when many people are sitting there with no one to talk to, and nothing to do.

The Home did say, Any relative can come any time, and family member's are welcome to stay as long as they wish, but..for us to find someone, or hire someone, with me or my Sister being there for several visit's before a stranger is left with Mum. They thought that odd, and they tell us, They have never heard of this before.

When I know their decision I will post it here.

Thanks, Maggie

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Perhaps it is the paying someone that is the problem, she'd be an employee but not of the Home.

Lila

eiggam

Jan 5, 2007
Lila13

You may be right, and has anyone had this problem, where do I stand, when an employee is not employed by the Home.
Surly, all that is needed is a form... or the employee writing saying, I am employed by Mrs.----- and am here to be a companion to Mrs.----- OR.... Who's business is it, if my Mum pay's for a companion.
What if a hair dresser came every other day, to brush my Mother's hair, She would be employed, and not by the Home.
Interesting Lila.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Even if this is the issue (and I can see that there may be legal/liability implications) I still can't see what it has to do with the families of the other residents.

English Lady

Jan 14, 2007
Essex
I fail to see any link whatsoever with other residents unless it's an issue about who is coming in and out of the care home. Even then, this shouldn't be discussed with other residents' families.

If being read to would lift the spirits of a person, then why should they be denied this?

The only issue I can think of is, if the person is someone who is not family or friend, they might have to have a CRB check. All care workers are CRB checked BEFORE they are let loose in a care home. It could be something to do with that. But it sounds like they haven't mentioned that to you, or you would have said.

The training I am being given right now is that all those with dementia are entitled to "person centred care"; a horrible PC term I know, but what it means is that individuals should be just that, INDIVIDUALS with their own likes and dislikes and ANYTHING that makes a person with this condition feel better about themselves is welcome (within reason of course!)

If I were you, I'd have a chat with the overall manager of the home first and tell them you are not happy with this or if all else fails, speak to the local inspecting authority (CSCI)

eiggam

Jan 5, 2007
Hi Jennifer

Hi jennifer,
Yes, this is what I should have said when the Area Manager said some thing like: She will talk to the relatives of the patients about our request. I didn’t think to say, ‘What has it got to do with them’ It just seemed so ridiculous your left speechless.
AND, this was in the so-called emergency meeting with all family members of my Mum. They didn’t give us any other explanation to our request.
The Manager of the home was about to leave after a month’s notice, She didn’t know what to do when we hired from an agency, private carers to sit with my Mum after my Mum’s bad turn for the weekend, just to sit there.
When my Mum got much better, we wanted to have either private carers or individuals come in 3 or 4 times a week. They told us they must be vetted and we will check them out, Fine, we said. That’s when the Manager who has now left, didn’t know what to do...

eiggam

Jan 5, 2007
English Lady

Hi English Lady,
My Sister went to see my Mums Doctor, and asked for a letter from Him, saying: How my Mum would benefit from a visitor sitting and reading to my Mum. He added, This will help calm my Mum down, and possibly relieve some depression.

No news yet, It’s a relief knowing so many people here have agreed with us on this issue.
Thank you, Maggie.

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
A new Activities Organiser has recently started working at Mum's home and I've noticed how much more alert Mum seems to be. She has taken a liking to the new member of staff, probably because she took the trouble to speak to the residents individually at first.
I think that social interaction is a really important part of treatment in a care or nursing home and any extras which can be arranged will help improve the quality of life for the patients. Volunteers, family and friends should be encouraged to visit as often as possible, even if it is just for half an hour or so at a time.
Kayla

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix