Rewarding care home staff

Onlyme_

Dec 28, 2016
West Mids, UK
My mom passed away yesterday from Lung Cancer and Alzheimer’s. Despite the obvious eventual outcome it all happened very quickly and was quite a shock in the end. She died in a lovely hospice after an awful 2 weeks in hospital as the residential care home could no longer meet her needs. We’d really like to reward the care home staff in some way as they have been critical in the last 2 years of my mom’s life, giving us back our relationship and making my mom feel safe and secure. Has anyone done anything similar or do you have any ideas how we might do this without obviously singling any one person out or causing embarrassment? Thanks in advance.....

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I too felt that I wanted to give a token small gift to all the staff at dad's NH when he passed away...but wanted to recognise that alongside the day and night time nurses and carers...the admin..kitchen..laundry...housekeeping...activities staff etc...all contributed as a whole to dad being looked after. He died a few weeks before Easter a couple of years ago...so I bought 40 or so little tubes of mini eggs and put a thank you for your care and kindness to B....message on each one. The Manager arranged distribution via a staff list which ensured every staff member was given one.

Am sorry that your mum has passed away suddenly..this was very similar for my dad...although we know the Alz will inevitably take them it is a shock when something else intervenes. I hope the next few days are kind to you

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Buy a small token present for each member of staff, including domestic and maintenance staff.
We did this for fathers home each Christmas. 34 boxes of Matchsticks (chocolate type of course!)
Everyone did their part in creating his environment, all were treated the same.

Bod

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I think @love.dad.but.. suggestion is fab

My mum is in sheltered extra care with a whole team of carers rotating, I didn't get anything at Christmas but dropped of a large box of cream eggs (bought from costco) last week, it will go where all carers admin staff have access, although prob not canteen staff, which I need to remedy

myss

Jan 14, 2018
@Onlyme I'm sorry to hear of your mum's passing but you appear to be seeing the positives in that her last moments were comfortable and more peaceful that you may had expected.

My mum doesn't have dementia but is in a nursing home who have looked after her well. I've bought two large boxes of chocolates and biscuits at Christmas for the staff to share.
I'd love to put a certain note of money in each of the hands of those who have some care/nursing of her since mum's such a prized asset to us, just so I know they got it and it's not gone to some one/where else.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I gave M&S vouchers to each member of staff.

They were so wonderful with my husband I left no one out, even the odd couple who weren`t so wonderful.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
For a number of years, I would buy 5 huge tins of Walker shortbread biscuits - 4.6 lbs each - for all the staff at Christmas. I split them up by 2 to the unit staff, 1 to admin and medical, 1 to kitchen and 1 to maintenance and housekeeping. They were always much appreciated.

My mother died in August 2016 and I brought one last set of biscuits for the staff that Christmas. I always felt it was a group effort taking care of my mother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sillymom23