review

lindaj

Jan 15, 2007
Nottingham
I have received a letter from nottingham county council this morning informing me that mum is having a general review on Tuesday at 10.00am I am invited to attend if I have any concerns regarding any aspect of mums care. Mum has been in the home for 2 months now is this review the norm and should I attend ?

Linda

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think you should Linda.

If it`s anything like the reviews for my mother , it`s to discuss whether your mum is receiving the correct care, how she has settled, whether anything else needs to be done for her etc.

If you have any concerns or questions, now`s the time to put them forward, when everyone involved in her care is present.

I also believe the attendence of a family member at reviews, shows the resident is loved and cared for. Many reviews are just left to care home staff, without family imput and I find this very upsetting.

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi Linda

When dad went into a nursing home, I got the impression that a review after about 6 weeks was the norm. He never got one because he was self funding, and I felt a bit cheated about that.

My feeling is that it's usually good to go to reviews and meetings if possible. Could be a chance to raise any issues or concerns you have. Hopefully a chance to talk when people involved in mum's care are together (doesn't happen often).

If you don't feel OK going on your own, I imagine it would be fine to ask to take someone else along.

Hope it goes well.

Áine

J@ne

Jan 10, 2007
Good luck with it Linda

Even if you haven't got any burning issues, it might help to write down anthing you want to say or ask about - you'll probably find yourself in a room with a bunch of people some of whom you'll rectognise. So if you write down stuff you want to say or ask it'll help you remember and not get flustered. And just listening - they might be saying stuff you think is wrong or they've misunderstood something about your mum so you'll be able to put them right if you're there. They'll all be there because they want to do what's best for your mum and should welcome you. But they'll all be professional people so might forget you haven't been trained in nursing or social work or OT or medicine, so don't be scared to ask them to explain if they're talking over your head or using jargon you can't follow.

Áine is right about taking someone with you - that can help too if you feel nervous about going. But your mum's key nurse or named nurse or whatever they're called should be going and you could ask to have a chat with them beforehand and to find out who else is going to be there and what sort of things they will be discussing.

And don't be scared to take a pen and write down anything you want to remember and they should send you a copy of the notes afterwards.

lindaj

Jan 15, 2007
Nottingham
What I don't quite understand is why I have received a letter about the review but the home knows nothing about. I will just have to wait and see what happens in the morning and it looks like I will be going on my own.

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
lindaj said:
What I don't quite understand is why I have received a letter about the review but the home knows nothing about.

hmmmm .... i can think of a few possible reasons ........ none of them very complimentary to the professionals involved :eek:

you might want to give social services a ring before setting off, it you've got far to travel.

hopefully there will be a simple explanation and the review will go well.

best wishes

Áine