Review Meeting

RobertE

Jan 10, 2008
Mum has been in residential care for eight weeks now and a review meeting is being held next Wednesday afternoon.

Has anyone experience of these? If so I would be grateful to know what to expect/any advice on what I should ask as I tend to get very flummoxed when dealing with professionals.

Claire

Mar 31, 2004
Coventry
Hi Robert

I've had quite a few review meetings now, and they seem to follow the same pattern. At Mum's home, the reviews are centred on her care, and any issues I, or the home staff, have regarding her care. If there is anything which concerns me I can raise it at the meeting, although obviously if there was anything major, which there never has been, I'd raise it at the time. I find it to be the best time to discuss small things which are important, but it is never a daunting meeting. It usually involves a senior member of staff and mum's key worker, and myself.So if there is anything you aren't happy about, or if you can see ways of increasing your mum's comfort, the review is a good place to discuss it, as everything said is documented, and may be fed into the care plan. Subjects covered in the past have included clothing, hair care, health issues and even, at my suggestion I supplied a lidded beaker,as I had noticed that, when in hospital, she seemed more comfortable with one than a cup which would spill. As the home is keen to "maintain skills" for the residents, and argenerally a bit anti beakers etc, I raised it at the review. It was documented, I did supply, and she now takes in far more fluid than before. At the review after this, I was thanked for making the suggestion, as it had proved beneficial. So just think about what is best for your mum and her well being and go from there.

Take care

Claire

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I echo the last poster. I have so far had one review and found it to be a helpful, co-operative experience. I visit very regularly and also pop in to the office whenever I need to and voice any concerns (or praise )to them. If it is an important point I have raised, it is always written into the diary and acted on.

xxTinaT

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Robert

Claire's given you an excellent description of a review meeting with care home staff. As she said, it's usually a very positive meeting, but if you have any serious issues, that's the time to bring them up. If possible, try not to be confrontational, after all you all want the best possible care for your mum, and that's usually achieved by being on friendly terms with the staff.

I also have two other regular review meetings, one called by our social worker, and one called by John's consultant. Both of these are just between the head of unit, the SW or consultant, and myself.

These are just to check on John's condition, whether I am happy, and if the head of unit has any issues. Again, they're very positive.

I just wonder if yours could be a social worker review, as we had our first about six week after John was admitted.