Rethink Dementia

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
I have early stage Alzheimer’s and I’m heartily sick and tired of all the negative stereotyping around my condition. So I have launched a ‘rethink dementia‘ campaign to try and get people to understand that many of us lead fulfilling lives - and that not everyone is sitting slumped in a PVC armchair listening to Foster and Allen all day long. There’s a ‘rethink dementia’ page up on Facebook that anyone is welcome to join. I invite you to use social media to post details about yourself and what you do: this could be a photo on instagram, or a video on YouTube, with an invitation for people to ‘rethink dementia’. I think there’s a need to push back against the stigma - please join in!

ClaireeW

Sep 22, 2021
This is a great, positive initiative @WJG
I wish you luck with it and hope others are inspired by it

neha

Apr 3, 2021
@WJG Well, I think that's the need of the hour. My research is in fact close to this area where I am looking at understanding the lived experience of people with dementia which stands against the medical, mental illness-based understanding of dementia.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
WJG. What a good idea. It’s a bad enough diagnosis for anyone without having to put up with the stigma.
Not wishing to make light of the situation but the remarks about the PVC armchair and Foster and Allen gave me something to chuckle about this morning.
Good luck to you. Best wishes.