Restlessness

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
I thought that Jean had passed on from this stage of the the disease, but over the last few days it has come back with a vengeance.

It's like having a limpet stuck to your back again. Try to move and she's there. Open the bathroom door and she's stood outside like a zombie. Walk backwards out of the pantry with some ingredients and you bang into her.

Frightens the life out of me when I don't expect it.

Found wandering outside by the carers, inappropriately dressed and weeping. She hasn't done that for months and months. Something must be upsetting her but she cannot tell me what. In fact, most of the time she cannot even remember the incidents.

Anyone had similar recurrences or is that these things never go away no matter how the disease progresses?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Any possibility of a UTI? I know it sometimes seems like we suggest this when there is any behavioural change, but so often it IS the cause.

Jennifer

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Grommit, very sorry you have had such a perturbing day. I'm pretty sure that Bruce and Sylvia know how things have been for you. ( See especially Bruce's posts 96 and 98 on Sylvia's 'Life in the Day of' thread.)
Regards and sympathy, Deborah

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Grommit,

You will know from my posts just how restless Dhiren is, and has been for a while. I have been waiting for him to `pass` through this stage and am a bit taken aback by your post, realizing that we can never assume anything.

It will be interesting to see what othe replies you get, charting different experiences, but I can only sympathize.

It literally is, `You and your shadow`.

Take care

Love xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Grommit said:
Anyone had similar recurrences or is that these things never go away no matter how the disease progresses
First thing, from my experience with Jan, is that these things do go away, eventually, but only as the next stage of the dementia unfolds.

As these things go away, so different manifestations appear, or faculties are lost altogether.

I found a definite tidal effect with the symptoms. Yes, definitely there were times when the tide went out and the symptoms would disappear. Hooray!

Then the tide would come back in some time, and they would reappear.

Sometimes it was that medication that had helped stem the effects at one stage was unable to do so as the condition worsened. In that sort of case, only a change in the dosage or the medication itself could help.

I found it safest to stay at the top of the beach, always expecting the tide to come in again, and not wanting to get swamped.....

Sorry, not much comfort, I know

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
I think what everyone is saying is that these things come and go at their own pace and no one, certainly not Jean, can make any predictions as to when they will appear and how long they will last.

I was glad when they went and now they have come back they seem much worse.
Previously, the spatial awareness seemed ok. Yes she would follow me about but at a "reasonable" distance and with a time delay of about 30 seconds.

What is most disconcerting now is that the spatial awareness has gone altogether. She follows me about at the same distance sardines are packed in a can.

Odd thing. When it started happening again and, just for a moment, I welcomed it as I harboured thoughts that the disease itself was receding.

Silly, I know, but there was just a fraction of a glimmer of hope.

Bruce, I love the beach and tidal simile and I think that about sums it up.

Jenniferpa. Sorry, i am not quite sure what a UTI is please.

And thanks everyone for the support.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Grommit, is it any consolation for you to know that you are the one Jean needs to be close to.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Grommit,

So sorry you're having a tough time. UTI does seem to be a possible answer, it's a common female problem, and does increase the confusion. A sample to the GP will answer that one, and it's quite easy to treat.

If it's not that, it seems it's just something you have to get through, like all the other problems we encounter. Bruse's tidal flow is a good analogy..

Much sympathy, I hope things pick up for you. Have a good holiday,:)

Love,