Restlessness - any answers?

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My mam is very restless recently. She won't sit down for more than a few seconds at a time, but all the walking around makes her feet and legs swell.

I have suggested that dad tries giving her an incentive to say seated, such as the rummage box, or the 9-piece jigsaw of tea and biscuits that I made for her, both of which are now consigned to a cupboard, out of sight (he said that she started throwing the things at him :().

Today when they came round I tried folding laundry right in front of her to see if she would help out, but she just totally ignored me and it :(.

I know restlessness is common - does anyone have any other ideas?

Tyksey

Oct 18, 2013
Hi we have the same problem with MIL altho she has an obsession with collecting all the washing up as soon as it either goes on the line or radiators. I then have a battle to regain my clothes and my husbands as she puts them away and then we have to hunt. I even found her wearing a pair of my husbands boxer shorts a few weeks ago and she argued they were hers. if I didn't laugh I'd cry! It's very difficult to keep her occupied or interested in anything and if not prompted would lay gazing into space most of the day. She has always liked old fashioned films and we used to be able to put these on for her and her attention would be held for a while but even this is failing to keep her interested. She sees people in the garden that aren't there and is more interested in arguing with me that I need glasses or that I'm not wired up right because I can't see what she is seeing. She is definitely deteriorating and as this is happening the stress is building even more. Sorry can't be more helpful ! Before I go one thing that we can get her to do is count coppers into bags doesn't get it right but she thinks she is which is all that matters. Take care.

Mish

Jan 19, 2013
Try playing catch with a soft ball it helps for a short while good luck

:)
Hi we have the same problem with MIL altho she has an obsession with collecting all the washing up as soon as it either goes on the line or radiators. I then have a battle to regain my clothes and my husbands as she puts them away and then we have to hunt. I even found her wearing a pair of my husbands boxer shorts a few weeks ago and she argued they were hers. if I didn't laugh I'd cry! It's very difficult to keep her occupied or interested in anything and if not prompted would lay gazing into space most of the day. She has always liked old fashioned films and we used to be able to put these on for her and her attention would be held for a while but even this is failing to keep her interested. She sees people in the garden that aren't there and is more interested in arguing with me that I need glasses or that I'm not wired up right because I can't see what she is seeing. She is definitely deteriorating and as this is happening the stress is building even more. Sorry can't be more helpful ! Before I go one thing that we can get her to do is count coppers into bags doesn't get it right but she thinks she is which is all that matters. Take care.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Maybe not a good idea if she is throwing things

Sorry, you maybe right, it is difficult to know what to suggest. I have to say the only thing my Mum will do in the carehome is occassionally she will do some colouring in, at home she would not do a thing and she used to throw things at my Dad too:(

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Ah, no worries. Yes, cutlery might not be a good idea, dad has already hidden the knives :eek:

I've been looking at twiddle cushions, has anyone any experience of these? They're quite expensive. Have also been thinking of making or adapting one myself, but am not a crafty sort of person and would find this very difficult. Also, mam is a destroyer, so I'm not sure if she would just pull buttons and things off.

Also, mam's hands get so cold - we've noticed that this happens especially when she's agitated - and I've even seen twiddle muffs advertised and am thinking of those too. Any thoughts?