Restbite Info please...

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
Most of you know what's been going on with my Dad for the last few months...as you also may know my Mum has been diagnosed with a prolapsed womb and has been given an appointment in June to go into hospital to have it fixed...they say she may need to be in there for five nights depending how everything goes...anyway my Dad is back in the Psychiatric hospital and is going to be reviewed on the 29th of May to see if he can come home...I have been onto Social Services and arranged for someone to visit us next Wednesday to see if they can help us out with some restbite for my Dad while my Mum is in hospital etc...the thing I am wondering now is, how the hell are they going to keep him there if, as I am told, they operate an "open door policy"...he's going to go walkabout! I'm at my wits end as to what to do for the best...they tell me they can't keep him in the hospital for this short time :( ...my Mum is seriously considering cancelling her operation because of this...HELP!!:eek:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
"open door policy"...he's going to go walkabout!

Talk to SW about it & they could put your father in a NH for respite , Not to sure what you mean open door policy , do you mean if he does not like going , but did he would just walk out ?

but if you let any care home know or NH , that no one would be home as your mother in hospital they would have to talk him around to stay keep an eye on him , thats what they pay the staff for

If your mother said to your father that she going into hospital , they no one at home to look after him so he have to go to respite , what would his reaction be ?

Last edited:

Louise.D

Apr 13, 2007
Essex
I had this problem with my mum going to respite.

The place my mothers going to has a receptionist and the locks so complicated she'd never manage to open it by herself.

Speak to them, there used to people wandering and I'm sure that they have every angle covered.

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
I asked what they ment by "open door policy" and they said that the doors are not locked and although they keep an eye on all patients, they cannot gaurantee them not escaping:eek: ...he would definitely walk out given half the chance as he's trying it all the time at the Psychiatric hospital and escaped through the fire exit:eek: ..if my mum told him she wouldn't be at home, he wouldn't understand and if he doesn't see her for more than a couple of minutes he panics and trys opening the front door to go to his "other house and other wife":( I don't think he would agree to respite at all but that's the only solution right now...thanks for your comments.:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Milly,

It sounds as if your dad needs a home for respite where there are combination locks on all doors.

Staff are the only ones to have the combination and are trained to make sure residents do not go through the door, when they enter or leave.

I`m sure your dad`s SW will be able to advise you.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I don't know what area you live in , or maybe your social worker not experience about care home , so she should ring on your behalf & find you a care home that has lock on all doors and have issue like your father and the care home knows how to deal with them .

My mother is also like that , if I am away for few min , she looking for me or opening front door , if I pop out .

My mother also at the beginning was adornment that she would not go to a care home , but now has been to quite a few care home , that all have lock on outside doors, also she went to one good NH , emergency respite for 3 mouths , that I saw a few people like your father trying to escape , they had those combination locks on all doors, one person did manage to escape , in a lift you can only press a with key to assess it to go down, that only carer have the key

but from downstairs you just have to press the bottom go up , what happen was a vista thought that the man was a Vista , because he had a suite on , so she let him use the lift to go downstairs & another vista , let him go out as she can in from front door, his daughter found him out side his old home and brought him back .

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968