Rest easy, HA!!

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Well, just when we thought Mom was settling into the NH and we were getting used to making the 40 mile round trip every day, we got a call from the nurse saying Mom has a swollen shoulder.
I ran out to see what was up. Mom's shoulder looked like a soft ball and since she is a wee thing it was very alarming. The doctor took an xray, no breaks so sent her to the emergency room. More xrays, more confusion as to why she was sent to a hospital where the NH doctor doesnt use, etc. They said it was arthritus and that she may have sprained or strained it somehow to make it flare up so quickly.
She has never done anything like this before and we have no experience with arthritus like this. Does anyone know of fast swelling of a joint occuring from arthritus?? If you ask Mom she says nothing happened and that she isn't in pain. Then you touch her or ask her to raise her arm and it's owie.
And great, now she is on pain meds so she can be dopey and dimented.
If anyone has knowledge to share I'd appreciate it. This isn't a huge deal but perplexing!
Debbie
ps, no brusing or signs of trauma either.

Tina

May 19, 2006
arthritis

Hi Debbie,

an elderly aunt and uncle of mine both have arthritis (but no dementia or AD) in their knees. I know from my uncle that when it flares up, his knees swell to twice the normal size and it's very painful. It comes in bouts, so there are times when he notices hardly anything at all apart from the occasional twinge or stiffness. When it does occur, he has pain meds as well, driving is difficult for him as is walking and anything else, but it usually subsides. Some bouts last longer than others, I've known him to have it for a few days, other times he's suffered for weeks.

Hope your mum will be better soon.
Tina

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
When Jan was first in her crawling stage, and very active with it, her knees became very swollen and we had to limit her time out of a chair.

The diagnosis?

Housemaid's knee!

People with dementia often rub up against things, or do things continually, causing damage, so it is worth thinking of these things as well.

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
I had no idea arthritus could flame up so fast and cause such massive swelling. Especially when she has never complained of her shoulder hurting. But then with AD they don't often have words for such things.
Thanks for the input !
Debbie

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Arthritis

My Mum has suffered terrible pain from rheumatoid arthritis for over 25 years. Every joint in her body has been affected and her ankles, knees and elbows can become very swollen. It seems to flare up suddenly and then calm down for a while, before flaring up again. She has had to take high doses of steroids for years and I'm sure that is what has caused the vascular dementia. A blood test can tell how much the body is fighting arthritis.
Mum's heart and lungs are fine and she would have been in reasonable health, apart from the rheumatoid arthritis. I'm sure she'd have recovered from her hip replacement operation, if they had not kept her waiting for 48 hours. She was so stiff and full of pain, that it really hurt her to move anything at all. People don't arthritis very seriously, but it's a terrible disease.
Kayla

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Debbie
this is of course rheumatoid A rthritis,this can flare up quickly.
Osteo Arthritis is the slow one (like in my knees) gradual deterioration over years
Norman:eek:

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
I guess what blows me away is that she has never had rhemotoid arthritus. She has osteo in her hands but that doesn't bother her much. I wonder if her little body is turning on her but I have never read about a connection between that and AD. I didn't see her today but the NH and Dad say she is better.
She is back on Celebrex so I hope that will give her some relief.
Thanks everyonefor all the replys and Norman, I am so sorry you have it, that must be very tough in addition to being a carer !
Take care,
Debbie

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Rest easy,HA!!

Dear Debbie,
They don't know the exact causes of rheumatoid arthritis, but believe it is a disease of the immune system, where the body attacks its own joints. As your Mum is in a weakened state, from having been ill for so long, perhaps her white blood cells are struggling to cope with infections. My Mum will have a bad patch, then improve and be better for a while. As your Mum is not in pain, it can't be too much to worry about and will probably pass in time. I hope she is feeling better soon.
Kayla

Whocares

Mar 18, 2006
My mum,s ankle swelled up so badly they thought it was broken, she said it didnt hurt but couldnt walk on it without crying, she kept forgetting, they tested for gout and xrayed but no explaination was forthcoming and she herself didnt know if she' d fell or twisted it it went down again after about 3 weeks but remained a mystery
Like you I had never seen anything swell up like it did and in a way I feel better that it also happened to someone else if you know what I mean, Mum died in May, Nothing to do with her ankle, she got a chest infection and passed really quickly
Jo

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
That really helps to know that others have had these things happen. Certainly don't wish more health problems on them than AD ! Seems like they more than have their quota. My Mom was such a health addict, so nutrition conscious, excercised everyone under the table. It is hard to believe she is having all these ailments! Indeed, her body is just going downhill along with her mind. I pray she won't suffer needlessly.
thank you all for your responses !
Debbie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7