Respridone

Mik1929

Oct 2, 2014
MW has been on respiredone for eighteen months as she was very violent and abusive. Since she has been on Respridone she has calmed down and her memory has almost completely gone to the extent that she has to be told where the loo is. The doctor has now suggested that she be taken off resperidone. Has anyone a view on the long term use of this medication and it's possible effect on the memory?
Any comments would be welcomed.

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
My mum has been on Risperidone for about 15 years now and if the dose is ever decreased the original symptoms reappear which cause her a lot of distress.

I would ask (before they take her off Risperidone) what their plan of action is if the symptoms reappear and what is the timescale for action.

Why has her memory almost completely gone? Are they sure it is the Risperidone or is it due to Dementia/Alzheimers?

My mum's memory has deteriorated over the years however she suffers from dementia and we are sure this is the reason and not the Risperidone.

Hope this is of use to you.

Last edited:

Mik1929

Oct 2, 2014
Respiridone

My mum has been on Risperidone for about 15 years now and if the dose is ever decreased the original symptoms reappear which cause her a lot of distress.

I would ask (before they take her off Risperidone) what their plan of action is if the symptoms reappear and what is the timescale for action.

Why has your her memory almost completely gone? Are they sure it is the Risperidone or is it due to Dementia/Alzheimers?

My mum's memory has deteriorated over the years however she suffers from dementia and we are sure this is the reason and not the Risperidone.

Hope this is of use to you.
Thank you for your comments. MW has had Alzeimers for about seven years and this is the cause If her memory loss but I was not sure if her memory could be affected by the long term use of Respiridone. We are both in our eighties so this has to be taken in to account. Anyway, thanks again for you input.
Mik1929.