Respite

sonia owen

Hi All,

I had to have emergency respite for my mum last week. I had booked my yearly hols for June 1st till 15th June so she would have been going for respite while I was away. It was a bit of luck that the place she was going to anyway had room to take her early. Will the emergency respite days come off the 28 days you are allowed as part of my respite allowance for the year as a carer. Our local council have given their payment and I will pay mum's part towards the cost.
Have booked another 5 day break for Sept. Might have to pay all the cost for that one myself.
Thanks
Love Sonia xx

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Can i ask where do you call for emergency respite ?
Also we will need respite for MIL next year as my daughter graduates and we are not missing that for anything .Can we arrange this ourselves will a nursing home ? She would be self funded so guessing we can .I have never been told we can have 28 days respite we are just starting on the sitter service which is 9 hrs a month.
I am gussing you will have to pay for the etxra respite you need.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I don't know all the details but from your recent posts my argument for the emergency respite to be additional to the 28 days would be.

The 28 days are to give you a rest from caring in accordance with the Care Act.

The emergency respite was to help your mum recover from an acute downturn to enable her to return to the status quo and should be funded under reablement.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
balloo

Emergency respite would usually be organised by the crisis team in social services.

There is nothing to stop you organising self funded respite at any time.

The Care Act gives carers a right to a carer's assessment
http://www.carersuk.org/files/secti...ssments-and-the-care-act-after-april-2015.pdf
The OP's 28 days was probably agreed as a result of such an assessment.
I would argue that attending your daughter's graduation is part of your 'life and wellbeing' and that respite care should be provided.