Respite

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Just fetched my sister back from respite and she did not want to leave. She had been there a week and she said she lived there, It was really funny because the first time we went she was really upset about it and now the third time she is really settled, in fact she ran all the way back from the door on the way out, thought she had forgotten something and 2 carers had to bring her back, She was really happy and smiling when we went in but now she is back home with us she look sad again, think she puts her happy face on when she is with other people. At least now i feel if and when she has to go ino care full time I think she will settle and be quite haPPY.

tHE PLACE SHE GOES TO NOW (COUNCIL RUN) IS ONLY RESPITE AND THE MAIN HOUSE DOES NOT TAKE DEMENTIa SO MAY try TO FIND A PRIVATE HOME THAT TAKES RESPITE AND FULL TIME DEMENTIA AND SHE WILL GET USE TO THAT AND IT WILL BE AN OPTION FOR FULL TIME CARE,;

Sorry about capitals there I am not shouting.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Pammy,
I think I would start looking for somewhere to get her used to- it may be that she likes the additional number of people to interact with, no family tensions (not saying there are obvious tensions, but underlying memories, and may be sometimes she thinks 'why is Pammy telling me to do this?'
But it is so good to hear such a positive view of respite.
Love Helen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Glad to hear your sister enjoyed it, if I was you I would not her that your looking for Permanent place .

Does your sister go to the local AZ Day center ? sounds like she may enjoy it .

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
Hi Marguerita

My sister goes to an Age Concern day centre for one day a week , don' think we have AZ centres here but SS got her into this one. She always says she does not want to go but I just say she must as the Doctor wants her to, and the when the taxi comes she rushes out to get in.

the day centre manager says she is Ok but as she can't really speak now she doesn't interract with anyone and she gets stressed after dinner waiting to come home. Of course each week she forgets she went the week before.

Now I dont think she remembers respite although she only came home on friday.
What a terrible disease this is.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Pammy,
but is it hurting her not remembering? Our job, to make the present moments as good as possible, but if we fail we can be reassured that they will soon be forgotten. (But unfortunately not by us!!)
Love Helen

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
no I dont think it matters at all. In fact if I have lost my patience and upset her it is a good thing tthat she cant remember.