Respite

JaneRhys

Jul 26, 2021
Hi, I am new to the forum. How have carers found respite during this difficult times? My father who is mums full time carer has been in hospital and needs times to recover (he’s in his 80,s). There is absolutely nothing to be had in North Wales even paying privately! Any ideas?

McNabs

Feb 27, 2020
Wales
I feel for you, we're in the same boat, completely stuck until the backlog is cleared. After five very long years I'm despairing of ever getting a break.
Good luck and hugs xx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forum, @JaneRhys. How awful for your father and stress you don't need, I wish I could help. Is it possible to get carers in 3 or 4 hours a day to help with meals, personal care or even just sitting with your mum while your dad has a rest. That's not ideal and I'm clutching at straws.
For a bit of more practical knowledgeable advice on negotiating with care providers and social care services the dementia connect line is the best place I can think of. They are available until 8 pm tonight. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementiaconnect will give you the details. Sorry that is the best I can offer for now.

Christy21

Oct 9, 2016
My wife was diagnosed with PCA nearly 10 years ago and arranging respite care has been a nightmare. Part of her condition is fear and anxiety and she thinks I’m deserting her.
After all these years I am about to try an overnight stay with a suitable carer in our house.
There is no help from Social Care, only charities.