Respite

Alison69

Mar 28, 2021
Hi everyone
My husbands Alzheimer’s nurse wants him to go in to respite for 2 weeks to give me a break. Really worried he will come back worse? did your loved ones adjust ok when they came home?
Thanks
Alison

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Ah Alison89.

I have not had any respite but have thought the same thing as you! It is a worry and only choose the respite if you want to!

Hope you have more replies, best wishes

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Alison69 welcome to DTP
I think if you are caring on your own it is inevitable that you will need a break, my husband had several respite stays in a CH before he had to stay there permanently.
He didn’t always settle but the CH would phone me I would settle his mind and usually that did the trick.
I realize COVID is making the choice of CHs more difficult..
I hope now you have found the forum you will continue to post it’s a friendly and supportive place to share experiences

Alison69

Mar 28, 2021
Hello, thank you for your reply. I do care for my husband alone and also work full time from home due to Covid, days are getting harder and at a crossing point with considering if I should give up work or keep trying to keep both up. Hard decisions to make ?

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Hi everyone
My husbands Alzheimer’s nurse wants him to go in to respite for 2 weeks to give me a break. Really worried he will come back worse? did your loved ones adjust ok when they came home?
Thanks
Alison
My husband is going to respite for two weeks starting on the Tuesday after Easter. This will be his first time and I am also feeling worried. I'll let you know how he gets on.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
It's a difficult and unpredictable one. On the one hand you may face having to deal with a double upset, his inability to settle in respite. I've found 2 weeks an odd period. How long would he need to settle in the care home? Is 2 weeks too short that by the time he has settled he is ready to go home, then having to settle into a different routine again? Then again is it too long, resulting in restlessness? Will you be worrying about that during those 2 weeks and will this give you the rest you need?
On the other hand things could go very well and both of you will enjoy a relaxing time and leading to future respite time. Especially for you it could mean a period of recharging.
A lot would depend on how he will be occupied, if this is tailored to his needs and his interests are maintained it could be a very positive experience.
Sorry if this is sounding negative, I don't mean to be but those are the questions I kept asking. I was hoping for a day centre placement, unfortunately by the time I started to look into this the Covid arrived and they shut.

But you know your situation best and perhaps the answer is (and maybe should be) to try it.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
My OH went in twice, two weeks each tim, and he was fine. The third time, when I got back I had a stomach bug so it was nearly three weeks before I saw him. Then I found that he had had a chest infection, so he stayed a while longer. Then I decided to leave him there. He died 3 months later without recovering much.

Pansy1950

Feb 2, 2019
Hi Everyone
I’m newish to all this. Can someone tell me exactly what respite care means, please? I know it’s when our LO’s go to a care home for a period, but who decides and arranges this, and is it free, or do we pay? Do we get a choice of which care home?
Thank you.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Hi Everyone
I’m newish to all this. Can someone tell me exactly what respite care means, please? I know it’s when our LO’s go to a care home for a period, but who decides and arranges this, and is it free, or do we pay? Do we get a choice of which care home?
Thank you.
Hi Pansy1950
It depends where you are in UK. I've copied some links to info that might be helpful, have a look, hopefully they'll give you some guidance on where to go.

https://carers.org/getting-a-break/getting-a-break

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets/full-list
Replacement care (respite care) in England (462)
PDF printable version

arrowsmith2kuk

Apr 25, 2017
Morning, a lot depends on your financial circumstances, respite for my husband was assessed by the local council adult care services and arranged by his case worker, we get 18 nights a year and I pay a small % per night. Its well worth it and I would definitely recommend it to help you recharge. Good luck