respite did not do Jack anygood. ended up in hospital

junegl

Apr 19, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Jack went into a care home for two weeks to give me a rest. on the day he came home we knew there was something wrong, he seemed to be in pain. I was up with him all night, called the emergency doctor at 6 oclock and he gave him a pain releaving injection and told me to call the GP when surgery opened. Doctor was coming after morning surgery, then Jack fell out of bed so I called the ambulance, they took one look at him and said to Jack you didn't just fall out of bed, you are not well.and would take him in,.it seems he had a bowel blockage. Jack is now in hospital. so the respit did not do him or me any good.:confused:

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry June.

After all the anxiety about respite, it should finish like this. I hope jack is soon fit and well and they sort the blockage out.

Please let us know when how he is.

Love xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
June, I'm very sorry to hear about Jack's illness. I do hope he makes a good recovery very soon. Best wishes, Deborah

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear June,
Sorry, to hear Jack is in the hospital, so much worry for you. My mum's brother was taken into hospital on two ocassions with a blockage and both times the Dr's were able to clear it without surgery. I hope everything works out well and Jack is back home soon. Take Care. Taffy.

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
Sorry to hear the news June...just remember, it won't have been restbite that caused this, it has happened to my Dad twice in the last couple of months and he's living at home....it's never easy to know when a Dementia patient has a bowel blockage...it can happen when you least expect it. Hope everything turns out ok.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That`s a fair point Milly.

Very often a hospital or respite stay results in additional complications that may just be a coincidence.

How many of us get stomach upsets on holiday, or fall, or get an infection?

When people are weakening, they are less able to cope with change, in diet or in environment, and have less immunity to a `new set of germs`.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
I must admit that the germ thing is one aspect of respite that terrifies me.
So far neither I nor Jean have had respite although she is now attending a day centre once a week and mixing with other people outside the immediate family and home.

I do still take her out with me every time I go shopping, day trips holidays and the like and so far, touch wood, she has not had so much as a cold.

However, I just wonder whether this might be result of the drugs she is taking for AD and for high blood pressure rather than the mixing with others theories.

I do sympathise a llot with you Junegl. It almost makes you feel guilty that it has happened while out of your immediate attention and that maybe you could have spotted it earlier.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Sorry to hear about Jack's problems and I hope it is all sorted out soon.

I just feel this should not put you off respite and I do hope you can manage another 'break' in the future.

Take care Beckyjan

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
June, I'm very sorry to hear about Jack's illness but, as others have said, I'm sure it's just a coincidence and you shouldn't blame yourself in any way. It most likely would have happened in any circumstance.

Respite is not really for the patient, it is for the carer. I hope you were able to rest a bit before Jack came home. You must take care of yourself to be able to take care of Jack.