Respite Care

GDmin

Aug 31, 2015
My grandma has dementia and my mum cares for her full time.

On more than one occasion now, she has struggled to get respite care so that my parents can go away for the weekend.

There is a home nearby, but when they make enquiries, they insist they can't book her in too far in advance and they have to wait to see if there is space. They also are reluctant to take her for a weekend, saying they can do a week or two weeks at a time.

Surely there must be a simpler, more efficient way to organise some respite care?

IT's making it impossible for my parents to plan anything.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I'm afraid that's exactly what I am coming up against as well. The minimum respite period seems to be a week around here, plus I can't book in too early either for some reason. But of course, call them not early enough and they are booked out!

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I'm afraid that's exactly what I am coming up against as well. The minimum respite period seems to be a week around here, plus I can't book in too early either for some reason. But of course, call them not early enough and they are booked out!

minimum respite round here ( Northants) is 2 weeks which is £1000 a week. we managed to have 1 night away by getting sitter to do 6 hrs and then my daughter took over from 6pm until we got back at lunch time.