Respite Care

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Does anyone have experience of obtaining respite care?
Is there any laid down periods of applying,every 3 months etc.
At patients home or in a care home.
Social Worker arranges it?
There seems to be a lck of clear guidance and I am wodering if we can put something together
for our resources section.
Norman

Last edited:

wendy43uk

Dec 22, 2005
sheffield
restbite care

hi norman i was told i can have restbite care 2weeks every 6 weeks at the cost of 117 pound aweek which i cant aford hope this helps wendy

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother's was arranged by a social worker. But she only got in at short notice because one of the regulars was going away on an Easter holiday

Some people get a week every 4 weeks, or 8 weeks depending on need and local availablity.

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
I am told we can have it for my husband, subsidised because he has no assets, for 8 weeks in any year. The local authority bulk buys a number of beds in two local homes, which are only used for respite. He has had one week already, in a home that was mainly just for old people, not an emi one, and hated it, but is now going to another one that is for emi patients for day care once a week, which he does not loathe (and I am told appears to enjoy when there, joining in with everything) and he is booked in for a stay later in the year when I am having a week's holiday.

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
Well my Grandad is booked in for his 1st one next week. Nan just spoke to the CPN and he arranged it. I don't know if it is a one off or there will be more to follow.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I was told I have 8 weeks a year starting from the financial year march ending the following year April.

Therefore, since April 06 this year I have had one week so have 7 weeks left. My Social worker says she can book it a mouth in advance so I have book to weeks in September 8th. so I was thinking if I book a respite every 3 mouths over the year 06
June 1 week

Septemebr 2 weeks

December 2 weeks

March 3 week that be my 8 weeks done for the year 06.

then it starts againa April 07 ……8 weeks

pammy14

Dec 5, 2005
leicestershire
I have has 3 separate weeks for my sister since Feb and another long one in Dec/Jan when we go to NZ to visit my daughter, booked through SS at their council respite unit. I have booked one privately at a care home for next week as each time I ask SS I feel I have to Justify myself and the cost is the same anyway £450.00 per week.

I don't know whether to book a SS one for November or go private- we will see how she gets on at the care home,

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
respite

Norman, as a front line social worker i can assure u that another post code lottery is definitely respite. Where i am every 6 weeks if i can get a place! a lot of the clients i deal with i try and organise a yearly respite plan for them. I am about to move to another local authority so it will be intresting to see how they do it. Im afraid the goblins in Whitehall don't believe in national conformity or provide the adequate resources to help families. Shauny

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Definately no SS respite in this area.

I am lucky in that Lionel has some savings, so that I get a break. All of Lionel's young friends, and their carers are not so luckly. Respite is a dirty word in south Essex.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I am about to move to another local authority

shauny Move to Hammersmith fulham as you say
so it will be intresting to see how they do it.

I read a report that my daughter done it says that 90percent of Social worker job taken up with paper work So 10 percent is left for service user :eek:

Looks like
When a love one gets dementia
There should be a list in what area is the
post code lottery
For the best local authority -Social services for people with Dementia .

SO to put that other Authority that is not so good to shame (something to do with Best practice ) I know I read this in my daughter report that is what Tony Blaire is trying to do so There competition between local Authority .

But can't find out where to look it up , also how I find from reading on TP how some local Authority class
Dementia, I am told I cannot get a CPN in Hammersmith fulham for my mum, because it does not come under mental illness. Tony Blaire is changing the system.

They have a carer group for the mental ill, but I cannot join them because my mum does not have a mental illness. Because Dementia – AZ is organic not a mental illness

On TP I read that other people get CPN in there local Authority

Last edited:

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
respite

Hi Norman & Margarita, il pick up on a couple of points u have both raised.

1/Margarita, i am gobsmacked that u were denied a cpn, i work pretty closely with the community psychiatric team and we both work for what is best for our clients with dementia's. This highlights the regional differences in support but i did'nt realise it was this bad.

2/ Norman, i had a general discussion with a couple of colleagues today about respite. I am not sure if there has been any independent research into the regional differences which there obviously are. I am wondering if the Alzheimers Society has done any independent research into this very important area? perhaps as a moderator u could raise it with them?

Shauny.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I don't think my mother's social workers realised she had dementia.

But then she only saw them for 2 short visits (one each visit, so the first one couldn't see changes).

Lila

shauny said:
Hi Norman & Margarita, il pick up on a couple of points u have both raised.

1/Margarita, i am gobsmacked that u were denied a cpn, i work pretty closely with the community psychiatric team and we both work for what is best for our clients with dementia's. This highlights the regional differences in support but i did'nt realise it was this bad.

2/ Norman, i had a general discussion with a couple of colleagues today about respite. I am not sure if there has been any independent research into the regional differences which there obviously are. I am wondering if the Alzheimers Society has done any independent research into this very important area? perhaps as a moderator u could raise it with them?

Shauny.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson