Respite Care

rosedolly

Feb 19, 2019
I am hoping to get some respite care for my Mum. I have been looking after her fulltime for over 3 years and now feel that I need a break as everything is taking a toll on me. Mum hasn't been out for over 2 years and doesn't want to. I was wondering how I am actually going to get her there. Its no good trying to explain it to her as she cannot take this in. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @rosedolly. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Are you in contact with Social Services? They helped me take my husband into respite care. Things might be different now, I`m aware the provisions have changed but you have nothing to lose by asking for help and advice.

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
Just following as I wondered the same, my husband has not left the house for 2 years and not sure I would get him in a car... and then if I got him in a car I am not sure he would not try and open the door whilst driving etc.

Also interested if there is support to organise a suitable place for respite, it feels like I would need so much time to plan it that I would spend the first week of any respite recovering from planning it. What I really want is for someone to just take over and plan it for me (happy to pay for it. It is the time and energy to plan it that I don’t have)

rosedolly

Feb 19, 2019
Hello @rosedolly. Welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Are you in contact with Social Services? They helped me take my husband into respite care. Things might be different now, I`m aware the provisions have changed but you have nothing to lose by asking for help and advice.

Hello Grannie. Yes I have spoken to Social Services and now waiting for an assessment for Mum. I really don't know where to start!! I will certainly as for their help. Thank you

rosedolly

Feb 19, 2019
Just following as I wondered the same, my husband has not left the house for 2 years and not sure I would get him in a car... and then if I got him in a car I am not sure he would not try and open the door whilst driving etc.

Also interested if there is support to organise a suitable place for respite, it feels like I would need so much time to plan it that I would spend the first week of any respite recovering from planning it. What I really want is for someone to just take over and plan it for me (happy to pay for it. It is the time and energy to plan it that I don’t have)

Hi Hellyg we seem to be in the same position. I think I thought it would all be done for me but from what I can understand you have to arrange it yourself. I have been looking after Mum for over 3 years now and didn't ask for help until I was desperate (which was 8 weeks ago) I am still waiting to hear from Social Services !!!