Respite care

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Does anyone have any experience of live in respite care?
I have finally managed to get my husband to agree to two weeks respite care later this year however I discovered yesterday that care how's are currently only taking people for four weeks minimum due to testing and isolation restrictions. There's no way he would agree to four weeks and the cost would also be an issue.
I'm now thinking the best alternative could be someone to live in for two weeks and I need to look into this. Any suggestions will be very welcome!

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
It would be well worth looking into the alternative of live-in care or as a back-up option. Guidance may change, I can see how an isolation period will be difficult to cope with as well as you say the increased cost you will be faced with.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Hello again @jenniferjean. Can you tell me if your husband had to spend the entire 2 weeks in isolafion?
No he didn't. I was told initially that he wouldn't have to spend any time in isolation. Then one of the nurses told me that he'd have to spend 10 days. That was when I threw a wobbly because I wouldn't have let him go in if that was the case. Then I was told that he'd only have to wait until his test came back negative which happened after the second day, and I was told that from then on he could leave his room. It appeared, so I was told, that some of the staff were having trouble keeping up to date with procedures.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Thanks @jenniferjean . This is what I can't understand. Surely if they get the rest back negative they should be able to leave their room. I'm going to phone a few more places to try to find out what their policy is. I agree I wouldn't let him go if he had to stay in his room for two weeks.

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Success!! I decided to call a care home I know from going to memory cafes there. It's outside our local authority area so I was concerned about any possible difficulties regarding my husband's insulin. However it just proved the old adage it's who you know. I contacted the admissions managed who I know and it seems there will be no problem. All respite residents are automatically registered as temporary patients with the local surgery therefore the district nurses will be able to give his insulin as they do for other residents. There seems to be no problem regarding a two week stay and hopefully by September things should be even easier. They are hoping that from 21st June they will be able to relax things enough to have easier visits. I've been told after that I can take him as many times as necessary to familiarise him with the place. Although he knows it quite well he doesn't remember a lot about it.I'm getting a brochure sent for him to look at too. So from the depths of despair I'm now feeling much more positive! Fingers crossed all works out now.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Success!! I decided to call a care home I know from going to memory cafes there. It's outside our local authority area so I was concerned about any possible difficulties regarding my husband's insulin. However it just proved the old adage it's who you know. I contacted the admissions managed who I know and it seems there will be no problem. All respite residents are automatically registered as temporary patients with the local surgery therefore the district nurses will be able to give his insulin as they do for other residents. There seems to be no problem regarding a two week stay and hopefully by September things should be even easier. They are hoping that from 21st June they will be able to relax things enough to have easier visits. I've been told after that I can take him as many times as necessary to familiarise him with the place. Although he knows it quite well he doesn't remember a lot about it.I'm getting a brochure sent for him to look at too. So from the depths of despair I'm now feeling much more positive! Fingers crossed all works out now.
thats really positive. and you know the place as well. taking him a few times could be good as he will be familiar with it.

spitfire1

Feb 3, 2015
Hi I am also having problems getting some respite care, husband has had Alz now for nearly 7 years and haven't had a day away from him in all that time. I currently get just 2 hours in take a break scheme. I asked before xmas and still waiting. All I get is excuses about covid and having to self isolate for 10 days which as u know is being kept in a room all this time. This would not work , especially as soon as I'm out if his sight for 1 minute hes shouting, swearing and causing a commotion. We tried attending a day centre but no sooner had I dropped him off I had phone call to come and get him. Adult social care were told then got phone call to say again probably wont get respite because of his behavioral at day centre, they cant deal with it because of covid. Also she let slip in conversation " that she wants me off her books"
When tackled about this comment she tried to back track !!! He has also had both if his covid vaccine, I dont see what the problem is. They say our area is free of covid at the moment. (Hampshire) can anyone give some advice

yorkie46

Jan 28, 2014
Southampton
Hi @spitfire1 , so sorry to hear the difficulties you're having. I understand how you must feel. I haven't been waiting as long as you for a break but I know how I feel. I'm in the lucky position of having to pay for respite care though it is ridiculously expensive. I'm sure things should ease in terms of care homes after 21st June. Do you have admiral nurse? She should be able to help with advice. I don't know which part of Hampshire you are in but your local authority can't just wash their hands of you because your husband isn't the easiest to handle, they should have appropriate care facilities for him. I would also speak to your GP. Good luck!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @spitfire1
yorkie46 mentioned Admiral Nurses, who are there to support carers ... they may be able to help you negotiate the system