Respite Care

Kalexie

Aug 9, 2015
Hi everyone.

My husband is at a fairly advanced stage of Alzheimer's Disease. I was wondering what happens when lo's go into respite care for a short period of time. Are visits arranged first as I was thinking it must be so unsettling for them to suddenly go somewhere that is unfamiliar and be out of their normal routine and be with people they don't know. But then again, they will probably forget that they had been before so what has been your experience with respite care? When they return are they really unsettled?

If I thought it was going to be a really horrible, unsettling experience for my husband, I'd rather not take advantage of the respite care and just continue as we are.

Thank you in advance.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Mum didn't go into respite, but a nursing home after a stay in hospital. She had no real problems in the home and Settled in well. After a year she moved to a different building due to refurbishment and relocation. Again she had no real problems. I was worried at the time. She was probably too far gone to notice. She is now at the end stage.

I understand your trepidation, but you have to think of your well being. Dad looked after mum and became really poorly before mum went to hospital/ home. It is a difficult decision.

Take care.x

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I had the same concerns when my wife went for 3 nights' in respite care @Kalexie. I'll never really know what she thought of it but the staff assured me that she was fine. I did not consider visiting her or encouraging others to do so as I thought that this would rather defeat the purpose. She was rather mixed up (in a different way from usual) for a few days afterwards but not so much that I would not do it again and for longer. The key thing was that she was kept safe whilst I had the opportunity to do a few things for myself for the first time in about 2 years. Only you know the situation with your husband but I would say that it will be worth trying for a short period, after which you can do it again for longer, or not, depending upon what results.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I have just received a leaflet in a magazine for live in carers. Out of curiousity I checked the website and they charge about £800 a week. There is no cost for respite care , they just state it costs more. Whether this is something for you to consider? Search for elder care live in

Kalexie

Aug 9, 2015
Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to share your experiences, it is very much appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R