Respite care

Kalexie

Aug 9, 2015
Hi everyone.

I'm fairly new to the forum. My husband is in the late middle to early late stage of Alzheimer's Disease and I have been caring for him full time, virtually on my own. My husband never sleeps right through the night. He wakes at odd hours and starts rummaging through the drawers of the bedside chest or tries to get up and get dressed. I haven't been well myself recently and am absolutely exhausted.

I feel that we have got to the point where I could do with him going into respite care for a little while but I know he will kick up a huge fuss and refuse to go. I was wondering if you could tell me of your experiences of a loved one going into respite care for the first time. How did you approach the subject and how did they react?

Thank you so much in advance and best wishes
Tracey.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Kalexie
I wonder whether you could make all the arrangements without discussing it with your husband, so you don't build up any resistance - then either say you aren't well, or some excuse he may accept, and thank him for going to a lovely hotel or rest place or cottage hospital (again, something he will be OKish with) and take him immeciately with no fuss so he hasn't time to react OR tell him nothing except you are going out for a coffee, stay for a coffee at the home and leave him there, cos it's nice and friendly, while you go shopping (which will take a few days ... )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart