Respite Care

sunlover

Dec 6, 2011
I am feeling so sad as a couple we had amazing holidays our last one in Antigua been going there for 19 years(Virgin were wonderful) but it's too long.Am about to have my first four night respite ,son is coming for 3 nights and *** ***** where he goes for 2 days for another night.I know I need a break but feel so quilty,he has supported me
When I have had a burst ulcer and 18 months later a brain tumour.Am wondering if this is unfair for him and should cancel ?

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Look at it this way. If you don't get a break, sooner or later, you will burn out. If you do get an occasional break, you will most likely be able to go on caring for him for that bit longer than otherwise.

If he knew and could understand how things were, what do you think he would advise? Go and have the break. He will be fine with your son I'm sure.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I am feeling so sad as a couple we had amazing holidays our last one in Antigua been going there for 19 years(Virgin were wonderful) but it's too long.Am about to have my first four night respite ,son is coming for 3 nights and *** ***** were he goes for 2 days for another night.I know I need a break but feel so quilty,he has supported me
When I have had a burst ulcer and 18 months later a brain tumour.Am wondering if this is unfair for him and should cancel ?

No. Go on your break.

Aisling x

Last edited by a moderator:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Please don't feel guilty. Yes, he supported you when he could and you are supporting him as much as you can. In order to carry on doing what you do, you need a well-deserved break. If you wear yourself into the ground you both suffer.

Make the most of any chance you get to ease the pressure :)