Respite care ? or replacement care ?

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION ???

Do you think RESPITE Care means something "NEGATIVE "??

or do you think that if you didn't get that "Alone Time " life would be so much worse..

An organisation are starting something called "Replacement care" to replace RESPITE CARE (i have my own views on this but will let you know later) but how it was explained to me was that the carer will not get any "Alone " time" anymore but will be budded up with someone for a few hours to help them with the person who needs help

IS THAT WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE ??

here is what i have received .....Thought please ?? """""""""

""""" Hi Its just 'respite' is a break from something negative, and replacement care covers all sorts of things including technology for example, so that's why we use it. """""

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I'm not sure where that is coming form Norrms. I am getting respite just by existing carers who come in to help with showering also covering meals and an afternoon cuppa while I'm away. My partner also has a carer coming in for 3 hours one day a week to chat while I get time to myself. That would come under a buddy definition, but still allows a wee bit of me time.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
If your away whilst they come in my friend that is respite, if they come into the house whilst you are still in the house that's called replacement care xxxx

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Apparently the term came into use following the Care Act 2014. I think whoever explained it to you has got the wrong end of the stick!

Maggie

Oct 11, 2003
Gibraltar/England london Now
Types of replacement care

was an interesting read .

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/help-dementia-care/types-replacement-care

I had a good care plan packet , whilst caring for my mother , Day centres , respite in care homes.
Some of those options in "Replacement care "sound so much more positive than a care home, Then it comes down to funding, also
Making sure that care agency staff that do come to the people personal homes, have an positive understanding of dementia
symptoms.

" Care home " ......... my mother did not like which was understandable.
My mother would go, she would do it for me more so them for herself.
As I would tell her openly that to keep caring for her, I needed help also to help me help her.

I use to wonder afterwards was it really worth it, As mum did seem to decline more while away from our home & me.

I did feel from my own personal experience with my mother dementia, that there did come a stage that she needed a one to one 24 hours a day , so would off been very expensive even in a care home respite to have that 24/7 personal carer.
Even thought my mother was on Exbiza medication .

So maybe that was why I saw a decline in mums dementia after 2 weeks respite in care home as she was not with someone 24/7

As I found my mother
thrived with her dementica whilst living with me 24/7 at home.
Also Carers would come in morning, evening whilst I was at home.

I found they where not trained in "dementia awareness" as they carried there own old skool stigma attitude towards the word "Dementia"
I was always correcting them in trying to make them understand
(This was 10 years ago)
Now we have Dementia awareness days so much more awareness in the media.
Care agency now train staff in Dementia.
I find it all so amazingly positive , how things have changed in the last 10 years with Dementia care & awareness .

Last edited: