Respite breakthrough!

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
I mentioned in Doris's thread about 'what to say' that my husband was going to day care for the first time today, and that we had decided not to say anything at all. He got into a terrible state before going in to a care home for a week's respite, and if truth be told it was a pretty depressing place. Today he went to another home, smaller, and exclusively emi, which he had been taken to see before but had forgotten. Philip, our wonderful Alzheimer's Support befriender, just said he needed to go into town, scooped husband up, the day care manager was outside when they arrived and welcomed him, Philip said he now had to go somewhere and I would pick him up at 4.
Nervously, I went at 4, to find him helping water the plants with the day care lady, chattering away. He said afterwards 'that was great fun', and apparently made friends with another man who was delighted for male company amongst rather a lot of ladies.
Oh the relief! This is somewhere that can take him for respite, as well as one day per week, so now I am able to book a much needed jaunt to see friends in Crete without worrying.
I really didn't expect it to be so simple - he had kicked up something rotten before when trying a day care place, and absolutely hated the first care home, so the lesson has to be don't give up, just keep trying other possibilities.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
That's wonderful Rosalind, when is he going to the daycare again?
Love,
Helen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What good new if like me I end up thinking now what can I do while mum in day centre 1001 thing pop in to my mind ,as mum go I tide up sit down read paper & enjoy my time alone lol :)

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
With any luck, he is going every Tuesday from now on, which means he will get to know the place and feel comfortable there when left for longer periods, and maybe ultimately become resident there. It is only about 15 minutes from home, and en route to my new business which is likely to start operations late this year, which is wonderful.