Residential/Nursing. Who decides?

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by brambles, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Primrose19

Primrose19 Registered User

Nov 27, 2016
    Female
    That’s great news, brambles. I remember the awfulness of trying to find a home quickly for my 89 year old mum who had previously been just about managing at home. She was self-funding so had the hospital and SW breathing down our necks to choose one. All the good ones are full and the others seem awful. Like you, a place suddenly became available at one of our preferred options. Hope all goes well for you all.

2. vicx

vicx Registered User

Sep 11, 2017
    It's so confusing, and I'm the carer!!
    Mum had her SS home assessment 1 week ago. The s worker, said that mum was quite bad, and she could benefit from extra care housing, bearing in mind my mum thinks she is a1 normal. She went on to say, I would have to put mum on the local authority housing list, even though she is self funding. She also said the waiting list is bad, and if it goes to long she may by pass and need a care home. All this in front of my mum who believes there's nothing wrong with her. I received insider info yesterday, that there are 4 flats available at our 1st choice, and you shouldn't need to go on housing register. Then today i received letter from council asking for confirmation of my mum, and is need to supply either an in date passport or birth certificate. My mum has never possessed a passport, and a birth certificatecertificate. I felt like screaming, she has dementia, where do you suggest i start looking for her birth certificate. So tonight after reading all these posts i have contacted the housing association who own these flats, I need to clarify if there is a process. Plus if this waiting list is long, but it has been accepted by SS that the pwd needs help, what happens. Clearly nothing. I'm not asking for free care.