Research Project: Older lesbian, gay, trans people

OlderLGBT

May 14, 2013
I saw this project from the University of Nottingham. It's about the experiences of older LGBT people and care.

nottingham.ac.uk/nmpresearch/lastouting/project.aspx

Often older lesbian, gay, bisexual & trans (LGBT) people get ignored for various reasons. It's important that we acknowledge there are older LGBT people out there. Hopefully this will help look at their needs. :)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
They are people just like everyone else why would they be ignored,?

Sorry i should have said Welcome to TP as this is your first thread I hope you find lots of useful information and advise on here x

Jeany x

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I don't remember anyone asking Mum her sexuality!

Seems really weird thing to say , older lesbian, gay, bisexual & trans (LGBT) people get ignored

Lots of people get ignored, regardless of sexuality!

( I am not quite sure why we have a separate board on here to be honest!)

OlderLGBT

May 14, 2013
Ignored in what sense? Sorry really don't understand.

I don't remember anyone asking Mum her sexuality!

Seems really weird thing to say , older lesbian, gay, bisexual & trans (LGBT) people get ignored

Lots of people get ignored, regardless of sexuality!

( I am not quite sure why we have a separate board on here to be honest!)

It's interesting that many of you have asked the question.

Older LGBT people may have experienced prejudice through their lives. especially if they have had experiences of homophobia. Remember it was made legal in the 60s. Even in the 1980s Clause 28 spoke of LGB people living in 'pretend families'.

As a result they may not be willing to open up about their sexuality. This can be a barrier to accessing helath and social care. There can be nervousness at reveling their sexuality for fear of receiving a poorer service.

If you have carers coming into your home, the last thing you want to do is be worried that the carers might be homophobic and end up hiding apsects of your life that mide out you.

In addition, older people as seen as being sexless and so we don't always think about them as whole people with previous relationships.

If you are older and in a same sex relationship, you might find it hard having professionals understanding your realtionship (e.g Not understanding the terms 'Civil Partner' or only asking you have a husband if you're female or a wife if you're male).

Older LGBT people are more likely to be in social isolation as they are less likely to have children and have close family relationships in the same way as their heterosexual counterparts.

Being older and LGB has it's added difficulties over and above what other older people may feel. There's a lot of research and anecdotal evidence to support this.

Anyway, the research project is open to contributors.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hello OLDER LGBT
I notice this is your first post on TP
Welcome to a forum that is full of people with a wealth of knowledge
and advice on all manner of subjects related to dementia and caring
I am assuming that you have a particular ,and perhaps personal interest
In the subject of ‘Older lesbian, gay, trans people’

I am an ‘older person ‘ (84) and very much heterosexual , but I have a respect for other peoples beliefs and try to understand their problems
I was particularly struck by your sentence
In addition, older people as seen as being sexless and so we don't always think about them as whole people with previous relationships. * ( my italics)

Regarding the attitudes of carers and health professionals to the subject of
LGTB to those suffering with dementia ( in it’s many forms ) I think this would mainly apply to those in the early stages of the diseases.
I may be wrong , but in my experience with my wife in her later stages I don’t think she would have been aware of any sexual differences
I am not being flippant , and this is true
We received a letter from the council in connection with an application for council tax rebate due to m wife’s dementia ,
On it they asked the question are you heterosexual or LGTB
My initial reaction was to not bother my wife with the question , but she insisted she wanted to know what the Q was
I told her . and after many minutes of deep thought she said
’ I don’t know I haven’t made my mind up yet ‘
This of course could be quite different for someone in their early stages
and your post does make me aware of the problems that a carer could face who is in such a relationship.
There is a sub-forum on TP entitled
Lesbian & gay people with dementia and their carers

I hope you will ge some positive responses to your post
And I hope you will be encouraged to continue posting

jimbo 111

benny

Dec 7, 2009
Central Coast NSW
I'm ugly and get ignored

I have always felt that I was never blessed with the best looks, and in turn I have always felt either ignored or not treated equally to pretty women, be it at shops or school, courses I have attended, doesn't matter where or when, but I am proud of who I am, what I have in life, but it doesn't stop the hurt when it is blatantly made obvious by ignorant people who would never ever stop to consider peoples feelings or choices. And unfortunately it doesn't matter how much we jump and down about it, people like that will never change, but at the same time if we don't respect their feelings and choices it puts us in the same category as them.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I think it may be more an awareness of lifestyle by the time a person is in a care home. The subject of gay men with dementia has come up here before and not had the best help/advice due to only a few having that knowledge/ awareness. Otherwise things are so "pc" in care homes that I think they are pretty well used to difference in many areas.

Last edited: