Research looking at quality of life of lesbian, gay and bisexual people with dementia

Samantha

Jan 19, 2005
London
The Alzheimer’s Society has asked the Mental Health Foundation to do some research to develop quality of life indicators for people with dementia, based upon their own views and experiences. The aim is that these indicators could be used for two purposes:
· As a means of monitoring the implementation of the National Dementia Strategy
· As a practical tool for people with a dementia diagnosis (as well as their families, and staff supporting them) to measure the usefulness and helpfulness of health, social care and other services that they receive.

However, at the moment there is very little research available about what things are particularly important to the quality of life of lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people with dementia. We would therefore like to interview a small number of lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender people with dementia. We are able to travel to people's homes or another suitable location to do the research.

I would be very grateful if you could let me know as soon as possible if you would be interested in assisting with this research. Please feel free to ring me or send me an email if you would like more information.

Thanks
Samantha

Samantha Sharp
Senior Policy Officer
Alzheimer’s Society
Email: ssharp@alzheimers.org.uk
Telephone: 020 7423 3683

The Mental Health Foundation

The Mental Health Foundation is the leading UK research and development charity that undertakes research and development projects on public mental health matters and issues affecting people with mental health problems, including conditions such as dementia. It incorporates the Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities that undertakes work on issues affecting people with learning disabilities.

Researchers at the Mental Health Foundation have considerable experience of doing research that involves people with dementia, as well as family carers, including one to one interviews and focus groups. We could use either method depending upon what was most suitable. We take ethical issues very seriously, including negotiating consent and confidentiality, and would provide more detailed information for potential participants in advance of doing any research.