Repetitive conversation - indicator of dementia ?

Rose_1980

Jan 27, 2013
Hello everyone,

Like most people on here, I'm worried.
I've noticed patterns of repetition in my mum's speech - she'll make the same smalltalk comment (eg "it's muggy today") again and again throughout the day, sometimes addressed to different people if she comes into contact with them, mainly to me or into my general direction. Sometimes the phrase will be repeated two or three times in quick succession. She can be very insistent in asking questions - she's always been a bit of a "smother mother", with a tendency towards overprotective anxiety,
but I feel this has ramped up a bit ("The plant would look nice there... You could put the plant there, I think... Shall I put the plant there?... I really love when plants are put that way...").
She is 72 and soon will be getting a hearing test, as this has become worse over the last year.
I have also noticed that she will repeat something that I have said, but presented as her own thought. I am not sure if she is aware of this. Sometimes if challenged with "I said that" or "you've already told me that", she will admit to it - sometimes she will accurately recall the circumstances, other times not.
She has terrible headaches and spondylitis in the neck, which I think tires her a lot and makes her feel a bit foggy. However, I'm worried about potential dementia as the repetition also occurs when she is feeling well.
English is not her first language, but she has always had a great command of it. From time to time now she struggles to find or use the right word, and will 'describe around it'.

In closing, my dad had Alzheimers and it was me who first noticed he was unwell. I have that horrible feeling again. His illness started quite differently, though, and was more 'noticeable' given his character. My mum has always been on the scatty side, with a mind that has always butterflied around (while somehow also being organised!). At the moment, she is good at keeping up with current affairs, managing her money, remembering appointments, relating all the gossip from her friends, etc. It's mainly this verbal repetition (oh, she also repeats herself in WhatsApp messages) and instances of forgetting snippets of conversation....

Very grateful to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks very much. Xxx

Last edited:

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Rose_1980 , and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. You'll find lots of help and advice here.
I think the first thing to do is to get your mum checked out by her GP. She might have dementia, but there are other health problems that need to be ruled out first, specially as your mum sounds like her health isn't that good. Do you think she'd be amenable to you making an appointment and the two of you going together? if not you could send her GP a list of your concerns and ask him/her to call your mum in.
I'm deaf and I do that saying something the other person has just said thing too. It happens when I haven't quite heard, but got the general idea. Deafness can certainly make you feel confused, so there may be an improvement when your mother has visited the audiologist. You'll have to get her to persevere with the aids as they do take getting used to. I also know what you mean about personality traits. My mother in law always used to get the wrong end of the stick in a discussion and my mother had a terrible sense of direction. With both of them I noticed that these traits seemed to become magnified as their dementia progressed.
This factsheet from the Alzheimer's Society might be of interest.
I'm sure others will be long with their ideas very shortly.

Rose_1980

Jan 27, 2013
Hi Sarasa, thank you for your kind reply. And for your insight into hearing impairment, which I found somewhat reassuring. ☺️ I am afraid that it is not the root of her repetitiveness, but I do think it is a contributing factor so I am going to keep on at her about that!
I have noticed that she rapidly switches subject when reminded of something she's forgotten, which suggests that she has realised something in herself but doesn't want to look it in the eye. ? I am afraid to broach the subject because that will make it "real" and I don't want to worry her if the cause is something else. She is due a bone scan soon and because she has such bad headaches, I thought I might suggest she get a brain scan - although I don't know if you have to specifically look for dementia signs or whether it just picks anything and everything up???

Anyway, thank you again for your time. I appreciate it. ☺️

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
In the early stages my mum had some insight: 'I've said that before, haven't I?' She'd also cover up her failing memory by making endless lists (but then losing them or mixing them up.)

There could be other reasons why your mum is repeating things but I'd also be concerned. The most plausible suggestion given by my well-meaning (but sadly incorrect) friend was : 'Your mother is lonely and has very little to say because nothing much happens in her life. So she repeats things because she just needs to have some conversation.' Hmmm. Plausible, yes, but wrong.

Can you get her to the GP, perhaps on the pretext (lie) of a 'well-woman' check up or over 70s MOT? If you word the doctor up beforehand (send a letter outlining mum's behaviours) he/she could then give your mum a memory test. If necessary there would then be a referral to the memory clinic or for a scan. I don't think you can request scans on demand...

Rose_1980

Jan 27, 2013
Thank you, Jaded. I am seriously considering contacting her GP, yes. Although with all this Covid stuff, I don't know how long it will take to get it all in motion. ?