Repeating questions and anxiety

BMforever

Sep 30, 2019
Hi. First time I’ve written a message in this forum. My mum has Alzheimer’s Dementia. Basically, my sister organised for my mum’s Motability car to be given back so that mum could receive the disability benefit money instead, which we need to pay for the carers.

Her car was picked up and taken away a week ago. Mum now asks me several times a day “Where’s my car gone?” and each time I explain. However, she’s really unhappy about it all. She did agree to us giving the back a few months ago but she’s forgotten that she agreed to it.

In the last 45 minute mum’s asked me 3 times where the car is. The constant, repeated questions are really getting me down. Mum is so confused and disorientated and it’s breaking my heart.

Mum has a recurring UTI which I believe is contributing to her confusion. However the infection has so far been resistant to medication and now, we are struggling just to get a urine sample.

I feel tired and down all the time. I also feel extremely cross and frustrated because the UTI can potentially be treated, but instead it’s wrecking havoc with mum’s cognition and is ruining our lives!

I’ve really had enough ??

lensgirl

Jan 14, 2020
My nan has had to give up her licence and since January we have had a constant question about why she cant have her car (it is still sitting on her drive, but will hopefully be gone in two weeks which im sure will then cause a whole load of problems). She keeps saying she is going to "have a go" at someone to get it back. I have had to tell her that with her diagnosis it is the law that she cant drive, but it doesn't stop the questions. My hope is that one day it will be one of the many things that she has forgotten

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to posting @BMforever.

When my wife had to stop driving she constantly asked about it and was not to pleased about the situation. This phase lasted a year or more but she is now beyond that and it's never mentioned now.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a link to a useful thread on communication, which may help with day to day questions