Removing incontinence pads at night?

Welsh Colleen

Mar 23, 2009
Wales
I don't often post but I thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions. My hubby is now using pads both day and night. While during the day he needs help as he still sometimes gets 'the urge' but can't sort out the pads, I can sort.
The problems are in bed he takes off his pants and removes the pad, then either shredding it, or then peeing sat on the edge of the bed...or both.:mad:
He says it's not him takes it off!! (I sleep in another room)
I then have him to sort, the bed to change, bedroom to clean, and carpet sometimes to clean in the morning, along with the extra washing. By the time I've put him back in bed, I'm so angry and upset, then I feel guilty as he feels upset at causing me the work.
I don't know how much longer I can carry on with this? Is it yet another phase? This week it's happened THREE nights. Sorry for moaning on.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My OH did the same thing; I had to resort to the pull up pants but he managed to take those off also:( The best type I could find was the 'nappy' style which secured at the sides.

All a bit trial and error I'm afraid

Take care

Lyn T

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
My husband wears incontinence pants which are more absorbent than pads. Took him a while to get used to them but he now accepts them as the norm. We get ours free through our local continence nurses. He wears the pull up type but there is another type, more like a nappy, which fastens with tape and I gather these are quite difficult for the patient to undo. It's probably worthwhile talking to your continence nurses about the options.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Welsh Colleen

Mar 23, 2009
Wales
My OH did the same thing; I had to resort to the pull up pants but he managed to take those off also:( The best type I could find was the 'nappy' style which secured at the sides.

All a bit trial and error I'm afraid

Take care

Lyn T

Yes, He has pull ups as well, which we get so many, along with the pads from our CN, but only supply so many. They don't seem to understand Dementia, and continence :confused: Difficult one, but thanks for the advice. I've been wondering about the 'nappy' style

Welsh Colleen

Mar 23, 2009
Wales
I bought an all in one sleep suit which zips up the back. My husband was doing exactly the same as yours. It wasn't cheap but it has worked wonders! He really likes it. I think it provides a sense of security for him.

Thanks, just checked these. Worth a try.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I bought an all in one sleep suit which zips up the back. My husband was doing exactly the same as yours. It wasn't cheap but it has worked wonders! He really likes it. I think it provides a sense of security for him.

Thanks, just checked these. Worth a try.

At night he uses the highest absorbency ones with the tapes at the sides. I still have to change him half way through the night but it's not because he has been able to move them. We get them from the continence service but I buy some extras to make sure we have enough.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
To save you some laundry & cleaning carpets, have you tried washable bed pads? I use them lengthwise under my husband - and I've cut a couple in half and oversewed the edge, and I put those hanging over the edge of the bed, so if he sits on the edge of the bed, it doesn't get wet. And for the floor, you could use either another bed pad or a washable chair pad to protect the carpet? They are very absorbant.

Florence.

Nov 7, 2012
I have similar problems with my OH. I sleep in an adjacent room but he makes so much noise if he gets up that I wake up (if I'm even asleep) so can change him. When he became incontinent I was frantic trying to clean up. He sits on the edge of the bed and pees into his bottle but it went on the floor and down the side of the bed. I was worried it would get Into the divan material and the whole bed would smell. I bought some washable mats from wilkinsons to put at the sides of the bed and also at his armchairs, also a roll of plastic used for decorating purposes from Wilkos you can cut in lengths and put along the sides of the bed and tuck into the mattress protector and drawers under the bed. I have also taped a bed pad under the mattress protector and draped it over the side where he sits! It's trial and error and what he will accept with pads. I use net pants from the incont. service with large pads that go all the way through and this seems to work if I pull them up tightly. I have also put a smaller pad on underneath the larger one at times. I found protecting the bed and carpet saved my sanity and I could change him if he had taken the pad off instead of the whole scenario of furniture as well. I could cope with just changing him. See the thread about washable bed pads too here. Good luck. I know how hard it is.

I don't often post but I thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions. My hubby is now using pads both day and night. While during the day he needs help as he still sometimes gets 'the urge' but can't sort out the pads, I can sort.
The problems are in bed he takes off his pants and removes the pad, then either shredding it, or then peeing sat on the edge of the bed...or both.:mad:
He says it's not him takes it off!! (I sleep in another room)
I then have him to sort, the bed to change, bedroom to clean, and carpet sometimes to clean in the morning, along with the extra washing. By the time I've put him back in bed, I'm so angry and upset, then I feel guilty as he feels upset at causing me the work.
I don't know how much longer I can carry on with this? Is it yet another phase? This week it's happened THREE nights. Sorry for moaning on.