Removing incontince pads at night

Acerakis

Aug 4, 2022
Hello, I am asking on behalf of my Mother who cares full time for my Father. A recent problem we have been having is that despite wearing incontinence pads he is still managing to wet the bed almost nightly. We have a washable absorbent mat under the sheets but having to change the sheets and wash everything daily is starting to stress us out and worry about electricity/water use from having to run the washer daily. We are unsure exactly what is happening but the assumption is he is getting up in the night to use the toilet and then unable to correctly pull the pants back on himself. We have tried getting him to urinate before bed yet this has done little to change anything.
When searching online the only thing I really found was an old thread on this site but a lot of the links were dead.
One of the things mentioned was a sort of onsie special needs suit which is difficult to remove by yourself, but I was having trouble finding such a thing on any UK stores. I am also worried that if he did wear one then he might be agitated if he wakes up in the night and tries to go to the toilet instead of just using the pads, but I suppose that may just need to be something he will have to adjust to.
Has anyone had a similar problem and have any insight into these suits or any other methods we could employ to prevent this constant wetting?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think a onsie would just frustrate him, if he is getting up for a wee.
Does your Mum hear him get up?

Are the pants max absorbancy?

Acerakis

Aug 4, 2022
I think a onsie would just frustrate him, if he is getting up for a wee.
Does your Mum hear him get up?

Are the pants max absorbancy?
Yes the pants are maximum absorbance and intended for night wear.
Occasionally she or I when I am staying over will hear him but we can't really get up and check him every time when we need our sleep too.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Yes the pants are maximum absorbance and intended for night wear.
Occasionally she or I when I am staying over will hear him but we can't really get up and check him every time when we need our sleep too.
I agree, but the trade off against all the washing etc might be worth it

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Can you get an alarm may that will wake someone if he gets out of bed? Or does he get out too often?

Acerakis

Aug 4, 2022
I agree, but the trade off against all the washing etc might be worth it
Yeah, I am going to keep my door open tonight to raise the chance of me hearing and waking up and I will go check him. But I just don't think it feasible when its just my Mum here, she already has to put so much time into looking after him, I don't think it is sustainable for her to have to get up every night as well. She will wear herself down as looking after him during the day is draining enough.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire

Would something like this help @Acerakis . I used these for my dad on top of his sheet. He used to take the washable kylie pads off if he could see them but left these alone. I still used the washable mats but put them under the sheet as an extra safeguard.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Acerakis
A warm welcome to DTP

You are as concerned for your mum as for for your dad, quite rightly ...you wrote:
I don't think it is sustainable for her to have to get up every night as well. She will wear herself down as looking after him during the day is draining enough.

Sadly, I agree ... it's often the disturbed nights for the person caring which is the precursor to a move into residential care, as the carer can't, with all the will in the universe, survive never mind care when sleep deprived

Maybe it's time to look into a move for your dad, so he he has a team to look after him day and night, and your mum can visit as his wife, not exhausted carer ... a tough decision, I appreciate

Acerakis

Aug 4, 2022
Would something like this help @Acerakis . I used these for my dad on top of his sheet. He used to take the washable kylie pads off if he could see them but left these alone. I still used the washable mats but put them under the sheet as an extra safeguard.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think these would change the situation greatly as we would just be swapping the cost of running the washer for the cost of using something disposable.
Hello @Acerakis
A warm welcome to DTP

You are as concerned for your mum as for for your dad, quite rightly ...you wrote:

Sadly, I agree ... it's often the disturbed nights for the person caring which is the precursor to a move into residential care, as the carer can't, with all the will in the universe, survive never mind care when sleep deprived

Maybe it's time to look into a move for your dad, so he he has a team to look after him day and night, and your mum can visit as his wife, not exhausted carer ... a tough decision, I appreciate
Thank you Shedrech.

When a nurse last saw him to assess his needs, she pretty much said he was nowhere near the point where we would get any assistance with moving towards him going into care as he wasn't a danger to himself or others and is relatively mobile, and we would not be able to fund it by ourselves.

TanyaW

Jan 26, 2022
This might not be much help but I assume anything that helps and all that....... my mum went through a stage of tugging at her slips ( adult nappies) and every morning I would have to change the bed and yes, it is wearing but I discovered that puppy pads are pretty good at absorbing a lot of liquid and it gave me some respite to use them on the bed each night. Unfortunately she now has an air mattress and I can't use them but she is also tugging at her slips less now thank goodness. Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

Amber92

Sep 25, 2021
My husband wears a convene catheter at night but they sometimes fail and I find that using something like a puppy pad on top of the sheet makes life a lot easier than changing all the bed (I still have a couple under the sheet as well.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Puppy Pads ROCK! They're also useful as stand by bibs, loo surrounds, undersheet extras, and mopping up any wet accidents (pad the wrong way down and press down to soak up). I don't like the chuck away waste but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
EDIT to add ... and for the stupid kitchen spills which I seem to be making more and more of.

Amber92

Sep 25, 2021
Well I'm looking to make life as easy as possible in any way that I can because there's so much to do, so I'll definitely be using puppy pads more ?