removable partial denture (RPD)

Lizziedalia

May 25, 2011
Greater London
My mum is not able anymore to remove her partial denture by herself and she is too afraid for someone to do it for her. So for the past year, her removable denture has not been cleaned. Any hints how to clean it/or stimulate her to have it removed and cleaned? :confused:Thanks. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
To tell you the honest truth, I finally took my husband's away. He still had enough teeth to eat with (and was on a softer diet by then anyway, it wasn't like he was eating steaks or anything). His problem was that he would not take the denture out when needed, but during the night I would hear him "playing" with it, in and out of his mouth, and I was afraid he would choke. He would also take it out in restaurants & cafes, and then be trying to put it back in upside down, backwards etc.! He seemed more comfortable without it. But then, he had already had dementia when he got the denture.

I don't know how you will manage about cleaning, but I know the dentists would say how important it is to prevent infections. Difficult one. I think there was another thread on this subject recently. Maybe someone with more experience will be along shortly. :)