remote control / telephone mix-up

Vix321

Mar 24, 2015
Dementia can do one today!! (well, everyday!)

Feeling upset because wasn't able to speak with Mum tonight as she kept interchanging the cordless phone with the television remote control.

I gave up after 15 minutes of shouting down the phone in the hope she would hear me and swap back to walking on the cordless phone.

(The carer was there, but obviously was not within earshot to assist Mum)

It's a minor thing, in some ways, but at the same time, feels more significant as is indicative of something else she's losing...
And where I am only able to get down there once a week to visit, it feels important to have those telephone conversations in between visits.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand

Feeling upset because wasn't able to speak with Mum tonight as she kept interchanging the cordless phone with the television remote control.

I gave up after 15 minutes of shouting down the phone in the hope she would hear me and swap back to walking on the cordless phone.

It's a minor thing, in some ways, but at the same time, feels more significant as is indicative of something else she's losing...
And where I am only able to get down there once a week to visit, it feels important to have those telephone conversations in between visits.

Yes its a tough one trying to keep a step a head.
My Mum now realises that her her phone has the date on it, and every morning she pushes all the buttons on the phone to see " what number it is" but she doesn't neccessarily put the two and two together that its the date.
If she pushes too many buttons and puts it back on the charger it doesn't always hang up, and then you can't phone her.

My only thought is the phone and remote the same colour, and if so any chance of getting a similar phone in a different colour, or labelling them.
Sometimes futile but worth a shot.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013

Change the cordless phone for a corded one. Then at least she'll stay in one place when speaking to you.

Bod

sheelz

Sep 1, 2014
Hi there. We changed my mums hands free to a corded phone for the same reason and also changed the tv remote to a 'flipper' (it's only got green button for on/off volume and channel change, there's no numbers on it.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
While mum was living alone we did the same as bod, so much better and it was amazing how quickly mum got used to it. When I thought about it later realised mum probably had a far better memory of this model, as mum and dad only started using a cordless phone in the 1990's.