'Remote' advice wanted.

BazCare

Jul 2, 2006
Surrey
As those who have read my opening entry (First timer) this morning will know, my father has been diagnosed as being in the early stages of Alzheimer’s together with vascular dementia. He is 87 and lives on his own although I now spend most of the weekdays from 9am to 4pm with him. One of the main problems we have not been able to combat involves his ability to use his TV after I leave. His cable service provider have this wonderful system which would allow him to watch 100’s of different channels at the press of a button or should I say buttons (the vast majority of which are of no interest to him at all). He does like to watch BBC1, ITV1, and channel 5, however to do so involves pressing 101, 103, 105, this is unfortunately beyond him and I frequently find the set top box on a channel in the 800’s when I return the next day. To date I have not been able to find a remote control unit that will show his channels by pressing 1, 3 or 5. We have already tried using the ‘favourites’ route but for him on his own this is again too complicated. Have any of you out their had the same problem and solved it?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Peter, I posted on the other thread, but I'll ask again - does he have to have cable in order to get a signal? My mother has a roof mounted aerial, and on her remote BBC1 is 1, BBC2 is 2 etc. I'm just thinking that not having the cable might make things a lot easier.

Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
All I can say is that with sky Digital you can set the all the program that your dad wants to watch on that day to come on automatically so your dad does not need to press any button ,like ask him what he like to watch that night and it changes over for him when the program ends as long as you have set it up for him before you go home .its called auto view

PS

I was thinking as I read you other post why not unplug the route when you leave and just leave your dad with the 5 basic TV programmes so then the remote control will work for 12345.

Or why not just cancel his Subscription if his not using all those programmes( seem a waste of money ) so then he have not problems with the remote control and getting channels 12345 or is your dad on free view? and don’t forget that as your dad over 75 he does not pay for a TV license.

Last edited:

BazCare

Jul 2, 2006
Surrey
Such an obvious solution Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thank you Margarita and Jennifer for stating the obvious, I really can’t understand why it never occurred to me to go back to the old analogue way in the first place. I have arranged to have our old rooftop ariel re-installed this week so 1 less problem to worry about. With so many new situations cropping up all the time now it’s so easy to search for a modern day solution.
Once again thank you all for your comments yesterday, it’s so re assuring to know that your not alone in the fight to give your loved one’s and parents the best possible care you can once they have been affected with this horrible condition.
Peter

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Peter,
You didn't think of it because we're so accustomed to looking forward & that certainly includes our technology. So going backwards doesn't come as easily. Besides, it's always easier to find solutions for other people than oneself. That's what TP is all about, helping others find solutions & also having a good old shriek-fest once in a while.
Joanne

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I found it hard to understand why mum attention span was going when mum was watching TV until I found TP.

I kind of miss explaining the plot of the programme to mum while I miss the best part of the programme and teenagers saying Nanny be quite listen .Now mum has the TV on Just for background noise, sometime while I am out I leave TV on for mum, but she always ask teenagers to trun it of during the day if no one else is watching it .I find in respite home mum been at they play music in the background with TV on ,but no volume.

Today I played some CD Spanish music and mum said oh its in Spanish mum got up look in the mirror, did a littlie dance, and so now during the day am going to play music

BazCareIt yes it is
horrible condition.
but every day you learn how to live with it ,learn new ways in how to live with it, with the help of every one on TP .who really do care to share :)

BazCare

Jul 2, 2006
Surrey
Problem solved

Just a quick note to let you all know the Dad now is able to enjoys his TV viewing once more now that a new aerial has been set up on the roof. Thank you all on TP.