Reminyl Question

arightcat

Jan 7, 2009
York
Hi,
My mother-in-law was diagnosed with memory loss, most likely due to Alzheimers in early 2008. She was initially prescribed Exelon, but reacted very badly to it with nausea and vomiting. Her medication was changed to Reminyl. She has been on this for nearly 6 months now, and it has been a horrible battle for her - after a long and difficult battle to tolerate Reminyl she has managed to get onto 8mg daily, but cannot tolerate the 16mg which makes her violently sick. She still struggles some days with nausea, and describes a strange sensation at the back of her head which she finds distressing. She has lost over 2 stone in weight trying to get onto this medication and finds it very hard to eat.

Over Christmas we decided to go back to the consultant and she was told not to worry about trying to get up to the 16mg dose, and to stay on the 8mg. The trouble is, her quality of life is still badly affected by taking the 8mg.

What I want to know is whether it is worth her fighting like this to be on this drug. Obviously that is a hard question to answer, but I would love to hear of others' experience with this treatment. It is horrible to see her suffering so much with these awful side-effects - on her bad days she is like the living dead, no colour, just gripping onto things.

She is at mild-moderate stage, and generally manages pretty well at the moment, with support from my father in law who is brilliant with her.

Thank you for reading,
Cat xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Cat

I'm surprised the consultant said to continue the medicatio, if there is an adverse reaction, usually they stop it right away.
My husband was on Reminyl, and it worked wonders for him, with no adverse reaction. He was on it for eight years.

My suggestion would be that you ask the consultant if you can cut the dosage down to 4mg and see how she gets on with that. If there is a marked deterioration, she can always go back to 8mg.

If she still has problems, you could then ask if you can cut it out altogether.

But make sure the consultant agrees that the dosage can be restored, the symptoms may be due to something else entirely.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Cat..

I can only agree with Hazel..

My husband was commenced on Reminyl immediately after diagnosis...almost 3 years ago..and has never suffered side effects.

But I know that some people do....and mostly they are of the kind you describe.

As Hazel suggests...try cutting back to 4mg and see how you go from there...again... do discuss with the consultant at all stages..there may be other underlying causes.

Love gigi xx