Remembering sad memories

MeandMum

Feb 12, 2016
Hi I'm new to this today. It's been nearly 18 months since my Mums diagnosis and most of the time have found help on websites and books. However struggling with this issue. Mum had a visit from her step son a couple of weeks ago, who she had not seen for a couple of years. The visit was good and it's triggered memories but since then Mum is very sad about my step dad (who died 10 years ago). She's remembering emotions and events from when he died. Thinking her step son had taken her to visit his burial site and feeling sad at her loss. She really struggled with the grief after he died and was very depressed. But in more recent times because of the dementia she's not been as down ( because she's not remembered). I keep hoping she will move on from these feelings. I'm just really struggling with her being so sad and depressed. Any advice appreciated about how to help her and myself welcomed.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
She will move on from this but it is not easy to say how long it will take. The current depression will need to be replaced by different memories so keeping her busy and meeting people might help. Might be better if the stepson didn't visit again too soon.

Good wishes.

MeandMum

Feb 12, 2016
She will move on from this but it is not easy to say how long it will take. The current depression will need to be replaced by different memories so keeping her busy and meeting people might help. Might be better if the stepson didn't visit again too soon.

Good wishes.

Thanks I'm visiting tomorrow for the night so hoping I can distract her and keep her busy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar