Remembering Dad

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

I took some jigsaws and a game to dad's old care home today and nearly eighteen months on from dad's death they still remember him. Of course I didn't go inside but the carer said they still remember J and the other day they were remembering how he used to wander into the kitchen to chat to the chef or to offer his help. I was telling the carer about how he used to call the manageress the 'Police' whenever she used to come and sort out a problem. The only trouble is that sometimes he used to cause trouble as his dementia progressed and he and his friends used to wander into each others rooms.

Can't believe it is almost eighteen months

MaNaAk

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Times disappears so quickly @MaNaAk. It’s now over 4 years since my husband died and it seems like yesterday. It must have been nice to share some memories of your dad with the care home staff though.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou Izzy. I'm sorry to hear about your husband. It was lovely to talk to the carers about dad and to hear that he is still missed. Of course at the time we didn't know how the care home would be affected but they loved him as well.

MaNaAk

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I used to bring massive tins of shortbread biscuits to all the staff at Christmas time as a thank you. Mum died in August 2016 and I brought the biscuits in for that Christmas. I didn't do it afterwards but I wish I had. I did stop in a couple of times later on, just to connect with the staff. They had been wonderful.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan