Relaxation of Covid Rules in Care Homes

Exning

Aug 26, 2018
Relaxing lockdown

Yet again the care sector has been left behind with the relaxation of Covid Rules.

In my MIL’s home the situation is in my mind horrendous.

Only limited visits by appointment in residents rooms with full PPE (Mask Gloves and Tunic)

Now starting another inevitable lockdown as a result of cases so back to impossible video calls.

The home is fully double vaccinated but with a large number of Residents, Staff and Visitors the incidence of cases is almost inevitable.

The cases since vaccination have all been asymptomatic with no ill effect. All the scientific evidence shows that, even vulnerable, oldies are less likely to suffer serious ill effect but we are treating it as if it was a deadly pathogen to anyone who may come into contact with it.

People in their twilight years deserve better. Quality of life is often more important than its length

I might be very unlucky but I hazard a guess it’s not an uncommon situation

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Similar at my mums care home… certainly no freedom of movement or times. It’s hard to know what can be done about this situation and I wonder what the long term implications will be for people who need care but are delaying it ? It’s really more like a prison sentence in a way so sad ?

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I am still not allowed in the care home or mums room, I can only see mum in the reception area outside the main building. Once a week, thirty minutes at a time, have a LFT test at the home and wear a mask!

As mum went to live in the home in April 2020, I have never been inside, not had a tour or anything and have no idea of the routines or activities they do.

I have asked about future plans now that social distancing restrictions are lifted but they say that they are waiting for new guidance from PHE and the LA.

Exning

Aug 26, 2018
I do think it important to be flagging this issue up to everyone in a position where they could influence.
If we don't then the inertia will continue.
There is an unfortunate belief that restrictions are protecting the residents. I profoundly and fundemnetally disagree. this is mental torture both on the residents and their relatives.

LynnC123

Aug 21, 2021
Current Gov. Guidance is that this should not be happening. The Gov. recommends one named Essential Care Giver should be allowed access (including physical contact) regardless of lockdown or anything else. Basically the ECG is treated as another member of staff.
Has anyone found that their care home has taken this on board? Perhaps if we all referred to the current guidance (updated on16 August I think), this might help? The Facebook group Unlock Care Homes also has a lot of info on this.

LynnC123

Aug 21, 2021
This is the link to current Gov. Guidance (although it is just guidance of course). Hope it is helpful.
Apparently I have to post ten times before I can post a link, and this is only my 7th.

Exning

Aug 26, 2018
See my other post. This belief in use of ECG is unrealistic and impractical for virtually every one visiting care homes where you are not providing the personal care.
The reality is the rules are applied to exclude and insist on full PPE for most homes.
Not really the homes fault as they are concerned as to their liability if something happened.