Relation between blood pressure & bed sores?

Charizomai

Aug 17, 2010
Cape Town
www.metameerkat.com
This is not an easy topic for me, but I would rather ask it here in a safe space and hope that some registered nurses will answer. Or maybe you have experience, dear TP friends? The doctor speaks about them and says she is not having pain. I saw one briefly and am not convinced.

My mom has developed nasty bed sores at the frail care. I am angry about them (and don't even know if I have the right to be, as she dislocated her shoulder and this is apparently the reason for the pressure sores). But now I want to know, how do I know when they are under control? And is there any relation between these and blood pressure?

I have been avoiding this question. I need to be strong and face it, as she may have to go back to frail care after the hospital - if she gets better from the pneumonia.

Please help?

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
The sores are caused when blood doesn't get to that part of the body,when pressure on the same spot prevents blood from circulating,so I don't think that blood pressure would make any difference to this.

Jeany

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Pressure sores are just what they say - sores because the skin is subjected to pressure over a period of time. They are quite common amongst people who are bed or chair bound for any length of time, for any reason, and the elderly or people whose skin is fragile are particularly prone to getting them. My husband falls into this latter category and is at this moment being hoisted back to bed from his chair every couple of hours to prevent a sore as his skin is very red. He is only allowed in his special chair for 4 hours at a time at normal times. He had pressure sores when in hospital so the nurses in his home are being particularly careful, which I appreciate.

As Jeany says, there is no connection with blood pressure at all - more the condition of the skin and ability to move.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan