1. nessy22

nessy22 Registered User

Nov 22, 2014
    Every 2nd day things start off well but around 3pm something annoys Mum and triggers off horrible complaints, ranting and generally going over and over the same old family disagreements. She runs out of energy about midnight and nothing distracts her.

Is this 'sundowning'?

It is hard to take after a while as it gets really personal and hurtful ( nothing wrong with her memory there:(). I have to walk away at some point ( or rather go upstairs ) but how long should I really leave her alone when she is like that. She is so unhappy and sits and mopes or walks out ( she does not get far ).The minute i get back it just starts up all over again.

Mum is on donepezil and I have tried to slip her a lorazapam on the worst occasions but to no real effect as far as I can see.

2. Emac

Emac Registered User

Mar 2, 2013
    I don't know enough about this to be of much help- it does sound like sundowning. My mum can go from being in a good mood at 1pm to very grumpy by 5pm with no apparent reason. If you need to step out out the room to clear your head I think that's fair enough- you are not leaving the house and leaving her for hours. When my Mum was horrible we used to either ignore her and not respond or just agree with her or say something non commital eventually she ran out of steam. Distraction sometimes works too...

3. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    Does sound like sundowning, my advice is to lock all doors and remove keys, then go to your room and if it starts when she sees you again then maybe a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake might distract. My own mum is a bit of a moaner and during sundowning it can get amazingly intense and sometimes I think she is trying to pick a fight with me.