Regular Paracetamol dose has really helped my Dad's mood...

referee50

Apr 24, 2013
My Dad had been very down and agitated for months. He was refusing personal care and had even lashed out at Care Home staff. He broke his hip several years ago and previous to that had suffered with back pain. He wasn't on any pain relief, and no longer has the ability to communicate if he was in pain to us or staff at the home. During a meeting with one of staff we were discussing if there could be anything at the root of his low mood and reluctance to bathe, change his clothes etc, and whether pain could be a cause? She advised me she had recently been on a course where a regular maximum daily dose of Paracetamol was administered, and in some cases this had resulted in very positive results in respect of Dementia sufferers mood. His Doctor agreed it was worth a try, and I am so pleased to say after 2 months he is like a different man. Obviously it has had no effect on his dementia, but his mood is so much better, he's smiling, allowing personal care and even thanking the staff for his "lovely baths"! Not sure how long it will last but seeing that smile again is priceless. ImageUploadedByTalking Point1446757481.434311.jpg

learningcurve

Oct 9, 2015
Hampshire
Hi referee

Paracetamol worked wonders for my Mum. Just one before bed was all it took for her to sleep through the night. As I was her main carer and spent 24 hours a day with her without any outside help it was a godsend. Nobody had told me that this may help, it was only by chance that I tried it after giving her a couple after she complained of back pain one evening and noticed that night she slept through the night. I asked her gp if it would be ok to try one per night and she agreed and we never looked back. She is now in a care home and they continue to give it to her and she sleeps likes a baby every night (not a baby that wakes up every few hours :D)

She is certainly happier now and smiles and laughs a lot x

usedup

Aug 5, 2014
West Berkshire
Paracetamol idea

Very interested to find this thread by accident. Several of the comments appear relevant to my wife's case and I am tempted to give it try. Have any disastrous results ever been reported? I know I should ask the GP first, but getting and keeping an appointment is a real pain and these days one does not always have confidence in what the GP says when his/her time is under such pressure.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Very interested to find this thread by accident. Several of the comments appear relevant to my wife's case and I am tempted to give it try. Have any disastrous results ever been reported? I know I should ask the GP first, but getting and keeping an appointment is a real pain and these days one does not always have confidence in what the GP says when his/her time is under such pressure.

I too find paracetamol helpful, when I remember to take it:rolleyes:

I do get it on prescription myself now having bought it every week for several years, no it is not expensive but I think it is important that GPs, in the absence of knowing how to help with dementia symptoms understand that this helps in someway.

Usedup, it is an over the counter medication you could ask the pharmacist if you are concerned. Then when you do visit the GP you can tell them the results if you do try it and get it on prescription.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
When my Mum was taken into hospital the transformation within 2-3 weeks was amazing. I thought it was better food and regular liquids. When moved to a care home and had her meds changed by the GP and her moods dropped drastically after 6 weeks in the care home. I found out that she was put back on gabapentin, which the hospital had replaced with paracetamol. I asked the GP to change it back, backed up by the changes the care home saw. Her mood switched back within 2 weeks.

She has 2 x4 times a day, mainly for arthritis pain but it has a big impact on her mood. I would say its worth a try for anyone.

There should be a real study of this as its such a well understood and cheap drug.

Love
Quilty

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
I must keep that in mind for later, I know OH is better taking Paracetamol and for some reason mater seens to like too and there was me discouraging her.

usedup

Aug 5, 2014
West Berkshire
Paracetamol

Many thanks to Sue J and Quilty and Patsy56 for their comments on this issue. I must now try to get my wife to swallow more pills. It may be hard but seems well worth a try.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Many thanks to Sue J and Quilty and Patsy56 for their comments on this issue. I must now try to get my wife to swallow more pills. It may be hard but seems well worth a try.

You can get liquid paracetamol, children's version if that's easier usedup:)

referee50

Apr 24, 2013

Hi, you can also get Soluble which might be easier. Have you tried to see if your Doctor will do a telephone consultation with you. If you explain you are a Carer for your wife it might help (I hope so) :)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My dad is trying the paracetamol idea tonight for the first time (with CPN's approval). He has to give my mam her meds covertly, so has crushed it up to be put into her food or her tea later today. I don't know if this will affect the way it works.

He's only going to give her one tablet. Will that be enough? I suppose it's better to start low, see how it goes, and then increase the dose if necessary. We're hoping that this will help with her relentless pacing.

Fingers crossed.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you Lin - unfortunately mam wouldn't take the calpol last time she needed pain relief and we tried it. But tastes change and it might be worth trying again.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
It's so difficult when you have to give meds covertly
I really hope the paracetamol works for your Mum and Dad.
It always amazed me where my frail old mum got her energy from to pace for hours and hours.

With mum I found tomato soup good for disguising the stronger tasting meds and ice cream, custard or her resource desert energy meal replacement good for the sweeter meds.