Registering Power of Attorney with bank

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @Alib65 ,this is an old thread , if you have questions you could start your own thead in relevant section . To answer your question though you do not need to take your Pwd to register Lpa.I registered one at Barclays a few months ago amongst other places.

daveyshadow

Jan 14, 2015
I registered for MIL with Lloyds and Chelsea both were straightforward. I built up a good relationship with staff member I dealt with at Lloyds as we registered the POA and then over another couple of meetings sorted her accounts to better benefit her (this was in 2015 though). With the Chelsea we just sent away the POA and got everything back within about two weeks. Only problem now is all local branches of Lloyds have been shut down and I work so can't always get to town when Lloyds is open and they won't allow internet banking for POA, just cheque book and debit card.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
can't always get to town when Lloyds is open and they won't allow internet banking for POA, just cheque book and debit card.

Rules must have changed.
In 2010 I moved my wife's account from Halifax (just absorbed into Lloyds) to Lloyds which was next door but one because they allowed an attorney full internet banking whereas Halifax did not.
You could move account to a bank that allows internet banking.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I registered for MIL with Lloyds and Chelsea both were straightforward. I built up a good relationship with staff member I dealt with at Lloyds as we registered the POA and then over another couple of meetings sorted her accounts to better benefit her (this was in 2015 though). With the Chelsea we just sent away the POA and got everything back within about two weeks. Only problem now is all local branches of Lloyds have been shut down and I work so can't always get to town when Lloyds is open and they won't allow internet banking for POA, just cheque book and debit card.
I have LPOA for dad.He is Lloyd’s and I do internet banking for him.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@daveyshadow
Tell whoever it was at Lloyds that said you could not have internet access using an LPA to read

2019-11-12_153639.png

https://www.lloydsbank.com/help-gui...ne-to-manage-your-affairs/types-of-access.asp

The Whippet Walker

Nov 13, 2019
After reading this thread I find myself amazed things went so well for me! I ambled into my local RBS branch with the original PoA document I set up and had registered for my mother in 2008 (when I worked as a legal secretary) and they processed it right there and then, the only ID I needed was my debit card (but we both use the same small village branch of the bank so we’re both well known by the staff), they photocopied the PoA and handed me the original back and they’ve just added my mother’s accounts to my existing phone/tablet app and internet banking log-in, so if I log into my account, hers turn up as well.

Tbh, I’ve been doing her online banking for the past couple of years now, just with her leaning over my shoulder telling me what she wants doing and it’s as well I remember her log in details because she hasn’t for months!

I emember from my legal secretary days that banks always want to see the page with the red seal on it, to show it’s the original copy sent back by the Office of the Public Guardian - and I’m extremely glad I got both my parents to set them up and get their GP to sign them while they were both still healthy and had full capacity!

It’s time I set mine up, just in case.

Bill11651

Jun 29, 2020
We have an LPA on dad and all of the banks but one have been great. Barclays Bank have taken two weeks to get back to me after registering the LPA and documents with them . Still I have not gained access. Barclays are trying their hardest to make it as difficult as possible. So if you have to deal with Barclays beware they are very bad to deal with.

Acceber

Oct 3, 2020
This year I found Barclays v efficient and sensitive to the process but weak at Lloyd’s and I made an official complaint which they upheld. My advice is don’t leave it til you need it. Get it set up with banks ASAP as it takes time. Also I think it’s Lloyds who insist on sending any documentation to your parents address which can be really confusing for them. If you have accounts at the same banks it’s much easier and quicker.