Registering Power of Attorney with bank

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Jellytots14, May 27, 2014.

1. Woohoo

Woohoo Registered User

Apr 30, 2019
    Female
    South East
    Hi @Alib65 ,this is an old thread , if you have questions you could start your own thead in relevant section . To answer your question though you do not need to take your Pwd to register Lpa.I registered one at Barclays a few months ago amongst other places.

2. daveyshadow

daveyshadow Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    I registered for MIL with Lloyds and Chelsea both were straightforward. I built up a good relationship with staff member I dealt with at Lloyds as we registered the POA and then over another couple of meetings sorted her accounts to better benefit her (this was in 2015 though). With the Chelsea we just sent away the POA and got everything back within about two weeks. Only problem now is all local branches of Lloyds have been shut down and I work so can't always get to town when Lloyds is open and they won't allow internet banking for POA, just cheque book and debit card.

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Rules must have changed.
    In 2010 I moved my wife's account from Halifax (just absorbed into Lloyds) to Lloyds which was next door but one because they allowed an attorney full internet banking whereas Halifax did not.
    You could move account to a bank that allows internet banking.

4. TNJJ

TNJJ Registered User

May 7, 2019
    Female
    cornwall
    I have LPOA for dad.He is Lloyd’s and I do internet banking for him.

5. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  6. daveyshadow

daveyshadow Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
  7. Lorna44

Lorna44 Registered User

Jul 16, 2016
    Female
    Surrey
    I work for Lloyd's and you can definitely set up POA internet access x

8. The Whippet Walker

The Whippet Walker New member

Nov 13, 2019
    After reading this thread I find myself amazed things went so well for me! I ambled into my local RBS branch with the original PoA document I set up and had registered for my mother in 2008 (when I worked as a legal secretary) and they processed it right there and then, the only ID I needed was my debit card (but we both use the same small village branch of the bank so we’re both well known by the staff), they photocopied the PoA and handed me the original back and they’ve just added my mother’s accounts to my existing phone/tablet app and internet banking log-in, so if I log into my account, hers turn up as well.

Tbh, I’ve been doing her online banking for the past couple of years now, just with her leaning over my shoulder telling me what she wants doing and it’s as well I remember her log in details because she hasn’t for months!

I emember from my legal secretary days that banks always want to see the page with the red seal on it, to show it’s the original copy sent back by the Office of the Public Guardian - and I’m extremely glad I got both my parents to set them up and get their GP to sign them while they were both still healthy and had full capacity!

It’s time I set mine up, just in case.